• In the Spotlight:

Should children go see incarcerated parents

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 12:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I think it depends on the situation and the kids. I think the option should be available and the family should make that decision. I know a dad who is an awesome father and he got a few DUI's. His boys were heartbroken and have been to see him and it has been very good for them.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Yes no doubt they need to see that its reality some might have it harsh or easier than others but that what they must deal with no one should sugar coat anything especially kids that is a fact in their life just make the even of the visit as easy as possible the adult that is the kids company during the visit should be supportive and comforting
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 12:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• i think it depends entirely on the situation
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• my SO's dad is locked up and he refuses to go see his dad... says its harder on him to see him in there versus not seeing him at all....
    Anonymous

• yes, if they show that they will behave.
    marievegan

Answer by marievegan at 1:19 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• depends on the situation..but I dont think you should sugar-coat it to the kids.. If mommy or Daddy is in jail the kids should know they are in there because they did something bad. I havea friend and she has taken her son to see his dad while he's been locked up, but she acts like he is there because a mean ol' judge made him go.. I think THAT is bullsh*t.
    Anonymous

• I regret taking my children to see their dad when he was locked up. It caused some problems for the kids. Kids just don't understand so it confuses them. Just my opinion.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My ex was in jail for some time for DWI's one after another after we divorced. I did not take my son to see him and eventually he gave up his parental rights. My son was 1-3 while he was in jail. So I think it depends on a few things including age. There is no benefit that I can see for taking a young child into a jail and opening that can of worms and upsetting the child. If its a teenager who wants to go see their parent then so be it. Like above posters it might even detour them from making the same mistakes their parents made.
    Anonymous

• As a child whose father spent most of her childhood in prison, I say no! I had to go see my dad in jail many, many times and it always scared the bejeezus out of me! It is no place for children, period. And I would've been better off without him in my life anyway. As an adult I absolutely refuse to take my own children to see him in prison (which is a big part of why he's stayed out this time). I forgive him his faults and want my children to know who he is, but they will not get to know him by visiting him in jail!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:12 PM on Jun. 11, 2009