Should I take him to the dermatologist?

I have a teenage son who has pimples but they come and go I think it is just a phase that a teenager goes to but my dh insist that we take him to the dermatologist.

His case is not that bad I have seen teenagers with really bad acne like red and pus.
his is more like dried up pimples atleast that is the best I can describe them.

What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Why would you argue with your hubby about this? Take your son to the dermatologist. It's a silly fight when your son could benefit from it.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 12:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Does your son actually have issues with it? Is it effecting him adversely? If your son doesn't have an issue with it, I wouldn't worry about it. Teenage hormones make everyone break out now and then, and unless it's a severe problem, washing his face and properly moisturizing it should be enough to keep it under control. There is a difference between having some pimples and having full blown acne.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 12:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I would not recommend wasting the money on a dermatologist for simple acne. I would just find some face wash that may help his acne. I use clearasil (spelling) in the morning and noxema at night. I never use soap. make sure he keeps the oil off his face. alcohol works well too. When I was a teen that is what I used on occasions and it worked well. If the acne is just regular teenager acne, then just experiment with different cleansers. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• If they come and go he should get checked out pimpes dont only come out because its just a pimple there is more to it that they can emerge for many reason like hormones ,bacterias that acumulate by reasones swet has alot to due with the hormones and alergic reaction or it can be a fungus my brother had alot of pimple one time i took him to the Doc at first the doc thought it was a fungus then she ran more test it turns out he is alergic to penicilin and it did that to him he now has scars in his back and face because of the ones that got tooo big and became infected .Im just saying its better to have controlle of your paterns if the pimples come and go it would be good to know whats the trigger point
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My mom is a dermatologist and to be honest, if he just has a mild case of acne, there isn't much they can do for him except maybe prescribe some topical acne medication...which is expensive and will most likely dry out his skin. Having acne is part of being a teenager. If its not severe enough to be impacting his life in really and negative ways, than I wouldn't even bother. You can try over the counter products from Walgreens/Cvs that are probably going to work just as well and they will be less expensive. I am 21 and still have acne. My mom never let me come into her office because she said my acne isn't bad enough for them to really be able to do anything about it. I've had to live with it and I'm fine.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Hush84, do NOT reccommend drying out the skin. That is incredibly harmful to your skin. He needs to wash away the dirt, dead skin and other irritants, but then also needs to moisturize. Taking away all the moisture from skin will cause itching, flaking and can make acne worse because itching means scratching, and scratching opens up the skin to bacteria.

Another thing that I forgot to mention is tell him to make sure he keeps his hands off his face as much as possible, that way there is less transfer of bacteria from his hands to his face which will also help.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 12:29 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I would take him. What will it hurt to get the opinion of a specialist?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I would take him because it could be Roscesa and not acne. Roscesa is treated differently than acne. My son has acne that is mild but he gets big pus filled pimples and they can become infected so his doctor gave us a lotion to put on his face when he has a break out. Otherwise, he uses Neutrogena Foaming Facewash and it works wonders. I would take him just to make sure he has acne and not something else.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Mild acne may pass with time or the help of over the counter treatments. My son had what is called Nodular Acne. It is the kind that comes from within, not as a result of hormones or diet. This acne is the kind that has boil like pimples and leaves terrible pitting scars if left untreated. I took him to the doctor and they put him on 3 different meds/creams. They told him it would go away around the age of 18 and it did. Just watch for bad large pimples, if they appear get him to the doctors.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:12 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Before buying any skin care products, it is important to check the safety of the ingredients. I like the Skin Deep database maintained by the Environmental Working Group (the folks who publish the guide to pesticides in produce). www.ewg.org
    Here is how my teen handles her acne: wash your face twice a day with a very mild soap (like unscented baby soap) and a soft wash cloth; follow with a light, oil free moisturizer. Once a day, before you wash your face, put on a honey mask (just honey, a great anti-bacterial). Every three days add a pinch of baking soda to the honey to exfoliate. Check back with me in two weeks and tell me how this worked.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:54 PM on Jun. 12, 2009