Does your teenage daughter take the pill to clear up her acne?

Just curious bc this one girl would come around and she had lots of zits then they were gone she said she tried Proactiv for a while. but I personally think she is on the pill...I don't know why I just have that feeling.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• The pill can clear it up. I know mine went away when I got on the pill- better than when I used antibiotics. However, she could've just started using the ProActive and therefore taking better care of her skin which can do WONDERS. However, I'm sure any young girl could get embarrassed at having to take the pill for acne because of the implications that she's actually doing it because she's a slut. I'd just compliment her on how nice her skin looks now and try to boost her self esteem a little as opposed to contemplating what she's using.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 12:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• We're getting ready to put our 14 yo dd on the pill. NO...she is not sexually active. She has terrible periods. She's had these awful periods since she was 11. She has an abnormally heavy flow that lasts for over a week! By the time she's done every month...she looks anemic and is weak. It really takes a lot out of her. Anyway, from what I hear the pill is not only good for birth control..but, also for acne, & nasty periods too. So, she could very well be on the pill.

Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 12:40 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• There are other, non chemical ways of treating acne.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:50 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• To Loryl - have you tried dietary changes to help your daughter? A vegan diet may help her, and won't mess around with her body chemistry.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I went on the pill for acne when I was sixteen (I wasn't sexually active until yeeeeaaaars later), and it did wonders for my skin. My body really needed a constant, steady flow of hormones in order to clear up.

Plus, it was good practice for when I went on the pill again for more enjoyable reasons.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 4:25 AM on Jun. 15, 2009