Why do we even have a HR department?

A man at my work a few months back asked me to do something I feel was immoral. When I refused he screamed at me and called me names until he made me cry (which normally wouldn't happen to me but after the year I had I'm pretty sure I belonged in a psych hospital at some points). I said something to my boss and explained I didn't want to make it a huge deal but I did feel he was harrassing me and did not wish to work with him any more. This week coming up my boss scheduled us together and I told her I would be switching assignments w/ another employee (which we do constantly) and the head of HR was standing there. The head of HR told me to stop being childish and to work my scheduled shift w/ whom I am supposed to be working. Then said "We still have a job to do around here if you don't like some one you should figure out how to graduate from high school!" I think I might go about her head what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• WoW, so you not only have one calim, from what i read sounds like you have 2 or three..you DEF have a right to go over their heads if you feel your issue has not been solved and it clearly hasnt. You also need to report your HR person, its common for them to choose sides and thats not right, thats not what they are there for. HR should be away from everyone to take an unbiased claim. Does your HR person hang out with the boss?! it might explain ALOT! Honestly from a business perspective its hard to constantly change schedules to accomodate somebody, but you said you could SWITCH not just leave em hanging! so file a report ASAP!! you deserve to be treated fairly and respectfully at your job!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• You need to schedule an appoinment with your HR rep and explain what the issue is. I can't understand why an employee who asked you to do something immoral is still an employee.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:47 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• You do need to tell her what the issue is and if she's still going to be the way she is being then you need to contact a lawyer (but don't tell them that). Keep a journal of what's going on.

ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 1:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Did you tell anyone about the initial issue when it happened? If not, that is a problem. What is the immoral thing he wanted you to do?
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2009