Good career in the medical field?

So i really need to decide what i'm going to be when i "grow up". I'm a server in a restaurant now, and i really love my job, but i know it's not something i'll be able to do forever. Or want to do forever either. It's too hard on your body. I live in south east idaho, and the job market isn't fantastic here, but it's not terrible either. I want to go back to school and get some kind of degree or training i can start a career with. I think the medical field is pretty safe as far as job security goes, but i did the CNA thing in a nursing home when i was younger and i CANT handle that! So i'd like to find something that doesn't start at the bottom like that. Any suggestions? I want to do something that i know i can support my family if anything ever happened to my husband. I figure i might as well start school now while the kids are little, then i can work out of the home later and not feel so bad about it!

MommaTurbo

Asked by MommaTurbo at 12:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• It is great that you are planning to go back to school. Start with your local community college; the classes will be inexpensive, many will be on line and (unlike forprofit schools) they exist to educate students.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I work as an EMT i don't know how it works in your state but here it really doesn't matter what you do in the medical field because unless you are a doctor or owner of the facility sh*t rolls down hill and they blame the little guys first. At least with my job I get to leave if the nurses are annoying me and/or acting stupid.
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 12:34 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I went to school for Respiratory Therapy. At the time it was a one year program, but now is a two in our State. Along with that, you now get an Associates Degree. What I liked about it: It was a fast education. You were working within a year and a half. What I didn't like: It's flat nasty. You work with the most infectious patients. You are exposed to everything. I would do a treatment on a patient and come back a hour later and they were in isolation.. You know they had whatever they do now, an hour ago. I quit when I started having grandbabies, because I could never go see them until I went home and showered and scrubbed first.

But, you may like it. Ask to do some shadowing in the hospital or call the program director.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I do plan on using the local ISU community college, but i haven't looked into tuition and programs yet.

How to i go about the shadowing thing? I think that would be great, to be able to see different jobs in the hospital and what would fit me!

Thanks for the advise so far! Keep it coming!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 12:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I'm almost halfway into getting my Associate's Degree in massage therapy and getting my physical therapist's license.
    Anonymous

• What about working in a medical office?? You can earn certification in medical billing and coding and work in an office...and make pretty good money. People with this certification can also work from home...
    Momm2Princess

Answer by Momm2Princess at 2:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• If you want something "un-nasty" in nature, maybe something like ultrasound technician, x-ray technician, or phlebotomy (if you can handle blood). A lot them are one and two year courses and the pay is decent I think. A friend of mine was in school for one of them. I would advise you to look through the course catalog for the closest tech school. There are also things like counselor assistants, physical therapy assistants, etc... that are not gross. LOL. If that is what you meant by "You CANT do that". I also have a friend who was a nurses assistant and I wouldn't want to do that either!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• It's not that i want "un-nasty". I cant do nursing homes because i get too attached to the the people, and it's depressing to me that so many of them have NO family. At least none that visit.

Anyways, i thought about doing medical coding or billing too. Working from home would be NICE! From what i understand though, is it is hard to get an at-home job til you've had a few years experience?
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 3:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Physician offices in my area (northern VA) are always advertising for certified medical assistants. That is actually an awesome field to get into because you are trained in multiple areas of healthcare, get to do an internship, and are then 'marketable' to a myriad of medical fields. If you end up in a medical job that you enjoy doing, or a practice that you just love, then you can take more classes, or earn another degree, directed specifically towards what you are doing.

Medical assisting is a 2 year associate's degree and you become certified through a state exam.
    I suggest looking at online job posting sites for your area and looking in your local newspaper to see the common medical job listings and see if any interest you.

By the way, your internship and clinical practices count as experience, which you put on your resume. Also, being certified helps get you in the door.

Best wishes to you!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:40 AM on Jun. 12, 2009