Christians or those that practice a particular religion

How many of you have studied other religions? How many of you have looked at your religion and only studied the one particular religion? It seems like we learned about many religions in high school.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, I did learn about many religions in high school. In our Catholic high school the nuns looked at the scriptures of & books about Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Islam (a little bit, this was the 70's), Judaism, some African, and a collection of ancient / mythology religions. This class was for every girl, it wasn't an elective. The same with their class on various schools of thought in psychology.

Later, I discovered and "joined" a religion which is an update of Catholicism. It encourages rigorous thinking and study, getting to the bottom of things instead of just "believing", and is entirely free: no dogma, no requirements; each person lives according to their conscience.

This "renewed" religion examines every other religion with respect. Just like people encircling a tree will describe it differently - from THEIR standpoint - so will different times & cultures have varying descriptions of the SAME spiritual world.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I have studied many although not enough. I have studied many Christian paths as well as Many Pagan paths and I am currently doing some studing Islam. And have done some minor reading on many many others... I would love to know it all, but I don't see it hapening.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:39 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• It seems like we learned about many religions in high school.

Comparative religion was an elective in my school. I think there's only one school district in the country that requires it for graduation (this came up a few weeks ago). But I have studied most of them, both prior to and after affirming to Asatru. I think you'll find the same is true of most of the pagans and atheists here. The Christians, not as many, and there is a definite difference between those who have and those who haven't
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I didnt learn about many in high school.
    Ive learned a bit about many religions over the last ohhh 13 yrs.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I haven't done instensive study on them, but I have looked at the belifs of many religions. I feel the one that I practice now is the one that fits best with what I feel. See, the religion I practice draws beliefs from a bunch of different religions. I have Pagan beliefs, Wiccan beliefs, Chrsitian belifs, and there are several others. I guess I am just odd. I can see how all the different religions are similar, so, the only people who get under my skin are the ones that tell me I am wrong because the bible says so.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I studied in highschool and college and if I wanted to I could always pick up a book at the library.
    Anonymous

• We never learned about religion in school - it's against the law here (separation of church and state).

But I was a Wiccan for a year before I became a Christian. I've also studied several other religions and am a member of several inter-religion groups here and in other forums.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• ive studied many religions

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I have always been completely fascinated by all religions, so I have studied many and asked in depth questions of anyone who practiced other religions. I certainly have my own faith that I hold dear, but I value and embrace all the people of all religions.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I'm constantly studying all kinds of religions.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2009