Only 23 pounds at 18 months.

My son eats all the time. All natural cheese cubes, yogurt, popcorn, spaghetti, chicken, eggs with sausage, cheese, onions, and bell peppers, all kinds of vegetables, loves fish and shrimp but he's still very skinny. I give him a Flinstone vitamin every morning and he drinks whole milk and juicy juice throughout the day. I just can't seem to get him to gain any weight. At his 12 month checkup he was 20 pounds. I've tried making him peanut butter and banana smoothies but he hates them. Any advise on what to give him. He's tall for his age but I hate being able to see the bones in his chest when he's running around without a shirt on and seeing his spine when he bends over. I don't know why he's not gaining weight when he's eating constantly.

bassyentihw

Asked by bassyentihw at 12:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• dont worry my son wasnt even 20 pounds at 12 months right now he is 2 1/2 and hes only 28 pounds but he eats all the time as long as he is running and playing and healthy he will gian weight later
    hsammygirl

Answer by hsammygirl at 12:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My son is the exact same way. But so were me and my husband at that age. My son is 19 months and 24lbs. He's not a picky eater at all either. He's just VERY active. I really wouldn't stress this one, mom's have enough to stress and worry about. As long as you know he eats when and what he's supposed to, he is fine! tall and thin happen and even out eventually! I should know - I used to be thin and now, NOT so much! haha
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't be too concerned about him only weighing 23 pounds at 18 months; only one of my three weighed that much at that age, and they're all tall too. It's very normal for children to gain weight at a slower rate after they start walking, climbing, and running around, and if your child is very active it takes a lot of fuel to keep him that way. I would be concerned if he has dropped to a much lower percentile on the growrth chart, or if he actually started losing weight. I would of course voice my concerns with the pediatrician and find out if he/she is concerned or if they have any suggestions. Other than that, I would continue to feed him healthy foods and keep trying new things.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• It's most likely because he's very active. He could also have a high metabolism. My ds isn't super skinny but I hate seeing his shoulder blades sticking out in the back or how you can see every single rib in his chest. It's just how they are built. Dh was like that too.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't worry since he's eating & active and healthy. My son is almost four and only weighs 32 pounds, but he's very tall and skinny and rarely gets sick. Quit worrying!!!! At your next pediatrician appointment, I bet the doctor will say the same thing.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My dd will be 18 months in 3 days and she is only 20 lbs....as long as he eats well and has energy to play dn't worry about it. Mandy eats all day long, and she is just a tiny thing.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• my son is 26lbs at almost 21mths. he's healthy and eats well. so dont worry as long as his ped. says hes good and eats and plays then he should be fine.
    Anonymous

• I think that's about what my daughter was -- off the charts in height, but not very heavy. She's 2 now and only weighs 27 lbs, and she's utterly obsessed with food (though she eats very healthily, too).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My son is 25 months and weighs a little over 28 pounds... At 18 months he weighed 21 pounds... So in 7 months my son has gained very little weight, however he's grown taller. I agree with every one else... As long as he's eating, playing, and growing (not just physically either) then I wouldn't be too concerned... However if you are talk to his doctor....
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 2:43 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My son was and still is slim and small for his age. He has always been a slow grower. He weighed like 40 lbs when he was 5 and he was always so skinny no matter how much he ate and I would always ask the pediatrician and she always said the same thing, as long as he's eating and growing and happy, you be happy too mom! I think a lot of moms (me included) looked at other peoples kids and how big they seemed compared to their kid and they think they are doing something wrong. Me personally, I am glad he was little a little bit longer than other kids. He got to be my "baby" for a while longer. :)
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 3:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2009