When will my PPD go away?

When my son was a few days old a friend of mine said the worst thing ever she said to becareful cause there have been moms who have hurt their babies. This scared me so much that after my friend left I cried with my husband. I just thought OMG what if i ever hurt my baby? (stupid I know) I think my hormones were crazy and I took it the wrong way. I know my friend didnt mean to make me upset but I was. After that I started having intrusive thoughts which gave me really bad anxiety. I never felt depressed I always wanted to take care of my baby, I have always bonded with him. I love my son and I would NEVER hurt him!! He's 10 mos Because I had such horrible anxiety I had my doctor perscribe me zoloft. It has worked but I catch myself with the intrusive thoughts and my anxiety comes back. UGH!! Why me? I am a good person and I have a great family. Why do I have to go through this? Will I have PPD with my next baby?

steph123

Asked by steph123 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No one can tell you when it's going to go away. No one can tell you if you're going to have it with the next child. Being aware of the thoughts that you have is a good thing. It shows that you are aware of the situation and the fact that you're obviously horrified by these thoughts pretty well show that you're not going to act on them. The fact that you've seen a doctor is even better because you've admitted it to a health care professional that can keep helping you at least medicinally. You might want to get into some psychiatric counseling if you're not already. It could really help. Depression and anxiety are not fun at all, and sometimes talking it out with someone who can see you from a neutral standpoint can really help. Lots of luck to you!
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 12:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I get those thoughts too sometimes - I had bonding issues with my son in the begining which made the thoughts worse - but Some of the thoughts my mom reminded me are Parental worries also - that are Normal - scary but normal. You are SO in love with your child you want to protect them for ALL things that could potentially harm them , that you think of those thoughts and it scares you cause you don't want to be thinking of them - but its also because you want more than anything for NOTHING To happen to your child. To love and protect them with all you have. I can't say when the PPD will go away but mine gradually got better - the more I focused on Loving and playing and accepting all thoguhts and feelings.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Wow I am so glad that I found this website. Thank you so much for your advise. Maxsmom - when you said I dont want anything to harm him you are completely right. I'm so scared of anything harming him. And Kittyhasclaws - when you say I should see someone I think you're right if I continue to feel this way then I'll def. do that. Thank you soooo much!!
    steph123

Answer by steph123 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Here for you anytime honey. I didn't know about this website til my son was 6 month, not that i had much time with my son's colic at the time but I am so so thankful! email me anytime. I know some of what you are feeling and I needed so much reassurance when i felt this bad.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My son had colic as well and had a milk protein allergy on top of that. So I know how you feel. And it helps so much to relate to mothers who have gone through the same thing. And he also just started sleeping through the night. Thanks again for your support!
    steph123

Answer by steph123 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 11, 2009