what do think abt when a woman keeps her last name

ive been married for three and half yrs and i have nt changed my name.. its not like i dont want to i just havent. well ive been noticing that it bothers my husband.. and my son and i dont have the same name so i think that might be weird when he goes to school.. what do u think we u see a married woman with her maiden name. thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm proud of my last name, and I was the last one in my blood line, being a female it should have been the end, but I cant do it, so both my sons have my last name, and I kept my last name.
    Its important to me to stay true to myself and my family!
    sorry, a man cant respect that than he can walk.
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 12:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• The government refers to me by my maiden name but everything else - bank, cc's, etc. have my married name on them.

Anonymous

• I don't think anything about it one way or the other.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I don't really think about it if I see it, but if I have to think about it now, I could say that I really don't care. It could mean she's just very independent and doesn't feel she should have to give up her name. I've also seen men take the woman's last name, too. Hell, you can hyphenate your name or your son's name. You can change your name at any time you want. It probably bothers your husband because that's usually the way it goes, and he might feel insecure about your commitment to him since you haven't changed it. Guys can be insecure too. If you feel weird about you and your son not having the same last name, then change your name.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 1:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My hubby and I almost didn't get married because of this. He was really big on me taking his name. I wanted to keep mine because I am very proud of my family, and his last name is 13 letters long. I said I wouldn't marry him, because he was old fashioned and he didn't own me. Then my daddy talked to me. He told me that he knew for a fact that my hubby loved me and was not old fashioned. Daddy said no matter what I would always be a "Greene" (my madien name) no matter what. So I married him, and I don't mind having his last name at all. And he is the best hubby. But when our daughter was born I made sure my madien name was somewhere in there so Greene is her second middle name.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 1:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Women keep their last names all the time for the sake of their businesses.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 1:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I am old fashioned and felt a rush of pride when I got ms ss card and drivers licence with my new last name. But thats just me.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 1:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• In Europe it has been done for a long time. But I keep my married name so my son and I have the same last name.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I kept my Maiden name and added my married name: Smith-Jacob.
    No way in hell was I going to loose the name I had for 30 years. Plus my son has my maiden name.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I think she didn't get married for a name and she has a reason for keeping her own. She got married because she loved someone enough to make an official statement that she will spend the rest of her life with that person. I have been married for five years and kept my maiden name. I know this bothers my husband but he understands my reasons for keeping my maiden name. He still makes little comments about it every once in a while. My son has asked me once why we have different last names. I just explained the truth to him and he accepted it.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 3:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2009