stimulation?

okay so every mom has there mommy guilt somewhere with something.. well for me im constantly feeling like im not able to stimulate my toddler enough.. he does have toys . not alot of them but there is a mini little basket ball hoop in the living area.. he has alot of books they are super cheap.. we go to the park everyday. but at what age does organized structured activity such as tball; preschool. become a must.. i know every mom is differet and some kids dont go to preschool at all. bc its expensive or its not right for them and there children.. but as a opinion how much stimulation is right for u and your children.. with limited funds..we dont have much money i try to really think abt what is the best choice..buy my son a bike or enroll him in mommy and me.. am i the only one to over think this kind of stuff.. birthday party or a new scooter..?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• T-ball and preschool is not a must. It's a choice for your child if you choose to do so. I "think" T-ball is around the age of four and preschools vary. Here it is three. These are things you should check into in your area. For the sports check your local city recreation dept. or YMCA. Ask other parents in your area about the preschools because they really do vary. I chose preschool for mine because I felt the same as you. There were no other kids for him to play with and I didn't want him to just sit and play with mommy all day. His three year old preschool class was two days a week for 2 1/2 hours.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Stimulation doesn't cost anything. Just think of the pioneers and how their children stayed stimulated and adventurous. Take the child outside and see the flowers and birds and listen to sounds and see colors and shapes and feel textures. There is enough stimulation in your back yard to keep a child stimulated for a long time. Remember the child needs rest time from stimulation as well so turn off some of the background noise when resting so the brain can process what it experienced earlier.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• For sports try calling the organization and saying I would like my child to be able to play XX... but currently having trouble covering the fee is there a way I can volunteer in exchange for a reduced or waived fee. Offer to help because many have elimanated help due to more asking for it and not helping. If you offer to help they will be more willing to help.

Maybe organize a mommy group and meet up at the park to play ball.
    Anonymous

• There's a difference between stimulation and interaction. Almost anything can "stimulate" a child - TV, toys, games, whatever. But interaction is the real important thing that helps children develop well, and that is always FREE because it involves people, not stuff. So pretty much anything you do, as long as you are interacting with him, is good. As for the other stuff, it shouldn't be about what the parents want, but about what is right for the child. There's no harm in trying different activities to see if they suit your child, but don't do it or not do it because of what other parents think. Do what's right for your child based on his own individual needs. If he needs more socialization, then try preschool or playgroups. If he needs more structured activity, try sports (either lessons or teaching on your own). Just make sure you stay involved and interact with him. That's the best stimulation!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I know our early childhood education center ( if your county has this service ) will make arangements and will not turn any one away for not having the money to enroll in activites. you know, my mom raised us with NO money, we rode our bikes, played at the parks, dug holes in the mud, made pretend forts - I think kids these days don't have enough imagination to do these things. Its good for them. I understand what you are saying but I think less toys is a good thing - there are tons of mommy and me things you could do just on your own though
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Parks, museums, libraries and other public places have free activities. Buy a used scooter at a garage sale.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:44 PM on Jun. 12, 2009