I have to wonder why have kids if you expect someone else to raise them?

I saw the question about the grandma asking if it was her place to have an opinion as to when she wants to keep the kids. The answers were amazing to me. I would never expect my parents to keep my kids overnight, or any time other than a few hours. Since when did it become a grandparents responsibility to raise the kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Wow, I think the OP was asking why parents assume THEIR parents must assist in raising kids, thus begging the question why parents can't raise their own kids and why they assume the retired grandparents must do the job too. I have great parents who see my kids occasionally but rarely watch them for any length of time and almost never overnight. They are in their 70's and very active, travel a lot, garden and enjoy their peace. They had four of us and the beauty of being a grandparent is that you can give them back at the end of the day. I don't rely on my folks at all!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:31 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I don't know what question you are referring to but I see nothing wrong with kids staying the night with grandma once in awhile. I used to and it was a week at a time here and there and those times were the most memorable. I don't think any parent expects someone else to raise their kids.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My parents love to keep my kids overnight, in fact they ask to. they said that their parents were never go to be this involved with their grandchildren but they want too. They love being there for everything and making my life a little easier from time to time. they understand that it is nice to have a night out every now and then and they love to have that time with the kids!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• grandparents have rights too Anon- in order for a child to be well rounded it should be around grandparents, aunts, uncles, neighbors...that way they learn to respect adults in general.... you should be happy that other people take interest in whats best for your child, be it a neighbor, or a grandparent. parents always think they are the ONLY ones who know how to raise there children, or whats best for there child. but truth be told, that's why kids are so rude and selfish, because there taught not to listen or respect anyone other than the parents and the parents point of view

judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 1:29 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• sorry, hit the button b4 i finished. anyway my parents are in no way raising my children. they follow my rules for the kids, and if there are special rules at their hosue then the kids know that! we have great relationships!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:29 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I know people that just pond there kids off to family and come back like 2 weeks later or they think they are to busy and thought you can train there child so it won't be such hard work for them, my SIL friends have tried this with me and its a no go, cause i am not going to get in trouble for kidnapping when they pond there child on me.
    Anonymous

• my kids love spending the night with their Grammy... I don't think an overnight here and there means my mom is raising my kids...and quite frankly now that I've tried this whole motherhood thing...I'd take all the help I can get!!!!!!!
    ivebcummymother

Answer by ivebcummymother at 1:31 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My son loves to spend time with my mother. I have always worked and often Grandma would keep him when I had to work nights. He is as close to her as he is to me. I don't know what I would have done without her!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:35 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• my DD loves staying the night at g-mom's and I'm a single mom sometimes its the only way I can work im not pawning my child off on her its more like shes helping me. I raise my own child trust me even tho she's helping me I tell her if she's doning something I don't like. What's the difference if it's her or day care
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 1:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• my stepmom is the one who calls me && asks to come get my son so that he can spend the night. If she goes more than a week or so without having him over at least once, then she calls me almost in tears b/c she misses him so much. My son is the first grandchild on my mother && father's side, so I think it's perfectly normal for them to want to spend as much time as possible with him. && no they aren't raising him by having him for 1 night out of the week. Now if someone else has your child for weeks, plural, or a month at a time, then I could maybe see your point, but as far as school aged children I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be ok for them to go stay at grandma's or aunt's or uncle's for a week in the summer when school is out, if the adult wants them too.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 1:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2009