amish...

ok im not stupid i know there arent amish ppl on here cuz its against the ordnung (sp?) but i would love the ability to go to an amish farm and chill there for a week, get to know there ways and what not... and no its not so i can get closer to god or anything, i just find that the amish are very interesting to me :) does anyone know how i can go about doing this?

bananaapplepie

Asked by bananaapplepie at 1:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i know here in iowa they have amish on the east side (i belive theyre amish, maybe a different kind) but anyway i know you can go see everything. i believe its called the amana colinies. you can look into it
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:25 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Wow, so you want to go to peoples houses and just hang out? You could just unplug everything in your house and cook on the barbeque. How rude to want to invade this peaceful society just so you can take a vacation from reality.
    Anonymous

• I wish I could remember the name of it for you, but I rented a documentary from Blockbuster all about this. It was very informative! Try a Google search, you may come across it.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I know there are families in Shippshewana and Nappannee Indiana that are willing to take people into their homes just so they can see how thier day to day life works. Also, there are some familys in Northern Ohio that do it too. I suggest google.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 1:43 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Ashley -

I never knew they did that! That would be very interesting, I think.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I live in Amish country and I have never heard of someone just staying with a family to learn. I am sure in other regions where there are more Amish families they may do that, but here in my little area of MI I have not heard of that, but you could try to google it ...
    This I know of them tho... They are hard working people and the women can cook like no one else...
    Good Luck and I hope you find out what you are looking for...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• If you actually want to know about Amish beliefs there are many good books on the subject. If you don't have any direct connections I seriously doubt any are just going to invite you into their home, most Amish churches prefer to limit contact with strangers. Besides you should really undertake a serious study of the belief system before seeking out an opportunity to be hosted by a family. If you simply want an escape from the complicated world, there are survivalist groups who welcome people wishing for that experience, with no religious affiliation.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Believe it or not, there is an Amish theme park. I've never been, but it's local so the ads for events are always on TV and radio. I do know quite a few people who will go there just for the restaurant or theater for the evening.

http://www.amishacres.com/

And yes, it is mostly staffed by real Amish people, not actors.  There are several towns around here that have more buggy parking than car parking.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:19 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Prepare to work your butt off!
    Not that that is a bad thing.
    Anonymous

• Not Panicking,

That's interesting . . . I wonder who runs the web site?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 11, 2009