Another starting cereal question

I know these come up all the time but here we go anyway.
My daughter is 15weeks on saturday, and exclusively breastfed. I have a good supply, but she is always hungry. She eats basically every hour, sometimes 2 or 3 times in an hour. And she has been waking up more at night to eat. I thought maybe it was a growth spurt but it's just getting worse and worse. She also gets bad gas/reflux.
Also, she used to be in the 75th percentile, her last dr appointment she was in the 50th.
I have my own growth chart that Im tracking her weight with between dr visits. (I have a home visitor nurse who comes every week) now she is in the 25th percentile.
She was 8lbs at birth, now she is only 11.6lbs
I promised myself I wouldn't get obsessed with weights and stuff but it's concerning me...
Should I talk to her doctor about starting cereal? Would that help her gain some weight, and keep her full for a bit longer?

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 1:39 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I understand how you feel. My daughter eats a lot. My daughter turned 15 weeks yesterday. She eats about every 2 hours. I'm going to start feeding her cereal as soon as her Dr. says it's ok at her 4 month vwell baby check up. I "think" don't quote me on this, but I think they recommend babies should double their birthweight before they start to eat solids. Check with herr pediatrician.
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 1:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I really don't think it will fill her up... any food before a year is for prctice only, so, unless she ate tons, it won't help. And by having her eat that, you are putting food in her belly where Breast milk should be. So, in essence, depriving her of nutrients. I would just feed her more often or put formula in a cup and pour a little in her mouth...the would at least give her a little extra that she might need and let you still nurse her.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Also, the AAP and WHO don't recommend starting any food until 6 months old.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't start cereal until she is at least 4 mo. and probably not until she is 4.5 or 5 mo. However, she'll let you know if she's ready. If she takes it on a spoon, then she's ready ...if her tongue pushes it back out over and over then she's not ready. Have you thought about supplementing with a bottle of formula to give yourself a break? Mine was exclusively breastfed for a few months and I really beat myself up at the prospect of giving her any formula at all...but its really not a big deal and it did end up helping my daughter gain some weight. Just a thought.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I would make an appt with the pedi and see what they say about it.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• We started my son on cereal at 16 weeks because he started waking more at night like your daughter... however, it didn't solve the problem at all.
    Also, if you are worried about weight gain I would avoid solids, they will fill her up but she won't be getting the extra fats that breastmilk can provide to help her gain... solids seem to slow weight gain for breastfed babies. It might make it worse.
    As far as her weight, if she is otherwise growing and developing well, I wouldn't worry too much.
    I would talk to her pediatrician about it either way and see what they think about her weight
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• if you want to start on cereal, i would do the rice until 4 months. then you can try oatmeal.
    Anonymous_J

Answer by Anonymous_J at 2:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Don't get obsessed. my dd was born at 8.3, and hit 10 at 3 weeks. At 6 months she was only 10.8 but there was nothing wrong with her.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Thanks ladies. She has her 4 month appointment coming up and Im just going to see what he says about it.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 2:45 PM on Jun. 11, 2009