Please tell me I'm not the only 1

Every family function or Holiday my husbands family feels the need to have alcohol. I don't mind a drink here and there but it really bothers me when it is at a kids birthday party. This is about the kids and it usually ends up with someone or a few arguing over some dumb crap and 1 time almost a fist fight. How would you approach family about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• We drink at family functions including kids family birthday parties. The difference is we don't get drunk and are mature. We don't have family fights or arguements. We have margaritas or some kind of drink and relax. My son love non alcoholic pina coladas. It is just fun. I think in your case you are dealing with immature people and I probably would not bring my child to anything when they are drinking. Nothing wrong with alcohol it is the person who is drinking that is the problem. Some cannot handle it and should not drink.
    Anonymous

• Don't go to their functions with any of your kids in tow...and make all your kids functions..Kid's friends only...Or send out specific invites to his family declaring NO ALCOHOL!!!!
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:46 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I'd ask the drinking be away from the kids and after the party so I could leave before the fists started flying

Answer by admckenzie at 1:46 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• You are not the only one. Why on earth would anyone feel the need to have alcohol at a child's party? Personally, I would not attend if alcohol was being served and neither would my kids.
    Anonymous

• dont ask the drinkers over that will solve that!!!
    ddang

Answer by ddang at 1:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I know a lot of people like that. If we go to a party and there is alcohol where there clearly doesn't need to be, we stay for a little while, and leave before people start getting drunk. We don't have alcohol at our kids birthday parties. If someone wants to bring their own, that's fine, but most people aren't drinking, so the drinkers end up leaving without incident.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 2:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• sounds like my and my hubby's families! They got piss drunk at my nephew's FIRST birthday[before we even got there!]
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• omg I know people like that. I think it's crazy to have alcohol at kids parties.
    HoneyPot78

Answer by HoneyPot78 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Alcohol is not inherently evil.
    We often have beer or wine at family functions but it does not cause arguments or fist fights.
    Anonymous

• My family usually has wine and beer at all family functions and no one has ever gotten into any kind of fight.
    CrazedMomof2

Answer by CrazedMomof2 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2009