Getting induced on tuesday... what are some good tips on it? What is it like? I am really nerves!

I have been having high blood pressure for a couple of weeks so my doctor wants to induce me tuesday or wednesday. Tomorrow I see him for a short visit, so he can call the birth center and set it up. I am all ready at a 1 and thinned, so I am hoping everything goes good, but what are some good tips for being induced and what is it like?

HuntersMama09

Asked by HuntersMama09 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I got induced with both of my DS's . It is not horrible like everyone says. I know some have a bad experience, but mine were absolutely wonderful!! We went at like 530 am. i filled out paperwork after i changed into the gown. then they gave me an iv of petocin. i started having contractions. then they broke my water. when it got really painful i got an epi (which was pry the worst part but still not bad). then it kind agot boring. they would come and check me abot once an hr with DS #1. and sooner with #2 cuz i went so fast. with the first one i delivered at 536. pushed for 15 mins, 10 pushes total. they did have to use the vaccum cuz his cord was around his neck, so they wanted him out fast. once he was out he was fine. then with DS#2 i was puching b4 noon. I delivered at like 11:37am. I even surprised the dr at how fast it went. with him i did get real nausous if i laid on my back while laboring ..
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• lol don't think that just b/c you're being induced that you will have a quick delivery. I was induced && was still in labor for 27 1/2 hrs.....lol. but anyway, the only advice I would give is go eat a really good breakfast or lunch before you go in, depending on what time you are supposed to be there. If they are going to put the cervadil in you to soften your cervix && help you dialate, that has to be in there for at least 12 hrs, so usually they will let you eat up until midnight, or at least my doctor did. mostly you're just gonna be waiting, unless you get lucky && have a quick delivery. anyway, good luck && congratulations!!
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• ...but thats cuz he was laying on my artery, so they would turn me on my left side. with him i puched like 10 min, and he was out. I was actually complaining about how the iv tape was kind of hurting me as they were preparing me too push!! LOL! Then i made the comment that i should pry shutmy mouth. The nurses all laughed. I was joking around with the dr while she stitched me up afterwards. My experiences were absolutely wonderful. both my boys came out healthy and alert! they were not drugged up or anything afterwards. Good Luck and Congrats!!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I heard being dilated and thinned can really help make things easy when you are induced is that true?
    HuntersMama09

Answer by HuntersMama09 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• i was only at 2 with my first one and at a 1 with my 2nd. i dont know how efaced i was. i know once you're induced the slowest part is getting to 5. once your past that its quicker. once i would hit five i would jump to a ten an like an hour...
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• i was induced with my son.. went to hosp at 12am, started drip.. dr broke my water & 8am, epidural 9am, delivered @ 340pm. like hismommy said above, be sure to eat good before u go in. it will be the last food u see til u deliver. of course, u r nervous.. but with my son it really wasnt bad. be sure to have ur DH or SO there for comfort. i had my inlaws and my mom.. and would not do that again. they made me a nervous wreck! lol sleep was impossible while waiting and ice chips and popsicles are it for food. try not to worry, it will be over before u know it and for the little bit of pain and being uncomfortable, it will be well worth it when the doc lays that baby up on your belly and u finally get to see that wonderful little person that has ruled your world for the last 9 mths. good luck!!!
    mindezz

Answer by mindezz at 2:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I was scared to death for labor and delivery and lemme tell you, its not as bad as you're imagining it ;) Get the epidural. Here's how it went for me being induced.

*Went to the hospital at 2 p.m. and started the pitocin drip
    *Started having contractions around 3:30 or so
    *Had the epidural about 6 p.m.
    *Hit transition at about 10 p.m.
    *Started needing to push about 11 p.m.
    *Son was born and out of me completely by 12 a.m.

You kinda have an out-of-body experience during delivery. At least for me, I kinda blipped out at transition and came back to earth after delivery. Thank God for that!

It wasn't the labor and delivery that was so horrible, but 9 months of throwing up prior to that
    dali_mama48161

Answer by dali_mama48161 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2009