What age (if any) would you let your child have a FaceBook account?

Both me and my Husband are on Facebook, and a lot of our relatives are on it too. My daughter is 10, and she wants to get a FaceBook account so that she can play FarmTown and keep in touch with some family members. Her internet time is limited and monitored... what do you think? At what age would you let your child have a FaceBook account? Is 10 too young?

Mama_McD

Asked by Mama_McD at 2:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son is 9. His computer access is very limited and closely monitored. I feel that too many kids are given waaaay too much freedom as far as the cyber world goes. We are just taking things a step at a time and will give him more access to things as we see fit as he matures. Do what you are comfortable with, but just be very careful and make internet safety your TOP priority.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My son was 10 when he got one...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• It looks like you are on the right track!! make sure you know her password or YOU set up the account, and keep the privacy settings up!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• i have been thinking of starting my 8 year old out on something, he is really into the computer and it seems the only way we can get him to read for a while. i am thinking of instead of starting him on myspace to start him his own email. that way he will learn typing skills and reading. maybe he would be able to be better at writing his grandmas and reading. it is hard, if you are setting it as privet and monitoring her time i believe you will be okay... i think if there is a problem then maybe she will have to put it on hold for a few more years but if no problem then she will be okay!

jemdreamz1214

Answer by jemdreamz1214 at 4:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My son has one and he's ten, but he only plays it if I'm right there. I control his "friends" list.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• She has already had her own e-mail address for about a year, but only uses it to talk to her dad and grandma.
    Mama_McD

Answer by Mama_McD at 4:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My daughter is 10. She keep asking me for her own computer, myspace page, email address, her own messenger and cell phone. I just don't see the point. I don't see the point of creating your child a profile in a social network, specially at 8 or 10. What for????? If she wants to speak to her friends, she can call them from home, and they can do the same. They see each other everyday at school, so I don't see what is the point of all this at such an early age. Plus those sites don't allow children in until they are 16 so I don't know what are mothers thinking creating and giving false information that their children are 16 when they are as young as 8! My daughter can play in many game sites, watch videos and listen to music in the pc, some of her friends have messenger so I let her add them in my messenger so they can talk. When she is around 13-16 then we can talk about opening one of those accounts.
    Ilianexy

Answer by Ilianexy at 5:14 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My almost 13 yr old has had his own MySpace and email accounts for 2 years now. I monitor what he does and I am the only one who approves friends and messages. He doesn't have Facebook, he just isn't interested...he barely goes on his MySpace.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:35 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I will not let my son get a myspace account til he's waaaay older and the only time he has a cel when he goes to his dad's 700 miles away for visits, the the cel is promptly shut off til the next visit. He doesn't have yahoo messenger or any of that crap. Just facebook for SPP, farmtown,yoville and to talk to his dad. His friends list and password is in my control(bwahahahahaha). He only goes on about 2-3 times a week and I HAVE TO BE IN THE ROOM with him when he is on the puter. He does like"mini clips" games.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 8:35 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Facebook can become a real problem as the kids get older. Remember kids are mean and someone who is your friend one day is your enemy the next. My niece had a real problem with a "friend" on facebook who started some nasty rumors. All it takes is the push of a button to spread something to a large group of kids. I do not allow Facebook, my space or IM for my kids. There are plenty of other ways to communicate. You can trust your own child, but its the other kids who are unsupervised that you can't trust.
    lynda5

Answer by lynda5 at 8:42 AM on Jun. 12, 2009