How can I encourage my son to crawl?

My son is 8.5-months-old. He's a preemie, so he's really adjusted to 7 months. He doesn't really try to crawl, though. I make sure he gets plenty of tummy time. I push his knees up so that he's on his hands and knees. I put items of interest (toys, pacifiers, remotes, the phone, etc.) just outside of his reach. He just doesn't really try. I need viable suggestions on how I can encourage him to crawl.

AlyKen

Asked by AlyKen at 2:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they sell these rolly things at walmart to help encourage it plays music has a toy inside and all kindsa stuff, they push it and it suposed to keep their interest and make them want to go get it. it didnt work for my dd my dd was more interested in an onionpeel on the floor, then i pushed it out of they was cause my hands were full and she went after it thats how i got her to crawl! complete accident lol. but it worked!
    Anonymous

• I have one of those rolling things. He isn't interested in it.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 2:12 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• You're doing everything I was going to suggest. Just keep trying and he'll get it on his own. Everyone develops differently and I wouldn't stress too much. Once he starts crawling you'll miss this time.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• lol. you will miss it! my dd is 2 tomorrow and walking and talking and i miss my baby! it goes by so fast!!!!!!!! maybe he just isnt ready to do it yet, id keep up with what you are doing and maybe try a regular ball let him bounce it while sitting then when it rolls away maybe hell go get it.
    Anonymous

• With my oldest, I used to lie her on her back, legs up and bent, then with my hands on each side of her body I gently rolled her back and forth singing "jellyroll the baby"...just sing-song like. Ari started motivating on her back first before she started sitting up and crawling. She was about that age too (5-7 mo). Don't rush him. Children each develop and grow at their own pace. Just have the interesting toys (bright colors) around to peak his interest.
    Suzi

Answer by Suzi at 2:19 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I have a Baby Einstein video called Baby Moves. It shows a lot of babies at different ages doing different movements....sitting, crawling, jumping, walking, etc. It helped Kaylee to see other babies doing it. You can borrow it if you want to try it.
    thrsbobrow

Answer by thrsbobrow at 2:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My daughter crawls backwards I can't really help you on there sometimes she goes after the tv remote or try to along with the phone.
    floodalchemist

Answer by floodalchemist at 8:29 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• my sophia was the EXACT same way, except she wasn't premie. she showed no interest, didn't care about the toys out of her reach, wouldn't go after the rolling toys, nothing. then, completely out of the blue at around 10.5 months, she up and crawled clear across the room. not all babies do it at the same time and some babies skip crawling altogether! he'll get there in his own time :)
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 9:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2009