At what age should you get a child a cell phone

Myni

Asked by Myni at 2:09 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• When they have a job and can pay for it him/herself. That is going to be the rule in our house. We figure that won't happen until they have a car and they really don't need one until they have a car.
    Anonymous

• my daughter is 8 and she has one only bc she gets home from school like 5 mis before I do and she calls me to make sure shes alright. I never leave her home alone but I thought it would be pointless to put her in daycare after school for 5 mins. Plus family lives close too. But she doesnt use it any other time. The phone that I got her is prepaid. I would wait till the teens to give them a cell phone that is on a plan, or I would keep it prepaid till they could prove to me that they can watch their mins and not go over or use it for other naughty things like texting.
    Anonymous

• 16
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• my son won't be getting one until he has a job && can pay for it himself. I think it teaches them the value of money && not to take anything for granted, but to each their own.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I agree 100% with the first response.
    SLGross215

Answer by SLGross215 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I think I'm going to have an unpopular answer, but we're getting one for my daughter for her 11th b-day this month. She's very responsible and truthfully, it'll help me out - she's very involved in school & sports activities, and there are always changes in practices, locations, etc. And, a lot of her friends have them already, too ... seems to be getting younger & younger, but middle school seems like the right time (at least for my family).
    jj.mominmd

Answer by jj.mominmd at 2:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• my son was 12 when he got one. He's into alot of sports and when he is not around me I don't want him using someone else's phone. My husband and I have no problem paying the bill as long as he does good in school and at home.
    HoneyPot78

Answer by HoneyPot78 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• kids do not NEED a cell phone that is a WANT not a NEED!!
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 2:31 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• a cell phone is a privledge, not a nessessity. In our home, the kids will only be able to have one when they are old enough to pay for it themselves.
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 2:40 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• my kids get a pre pay cell phone when they turn 16 and get a license and/or a job. That way they have a way to keep in touch with me (and me them) and they learn the value of a dollar by having to purchase their own minutes (I do get them some minutes for b-day and Christmas) Until they are 16 I am the one driving them here and there so I know where they are
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2009