germany....

my friends daughter went to pre school in germany.they moved back to the usa and she was way ahead of the class.now as time is going on she doesnt seem as smart.she is not getting the awards.is it that the preschools are better in germany.its like she has evened off with the rest off the kids.hmm i find this very interesting.

raineydays377

Asked by raineydays377 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it may be the different learning. That can happen right here in this country. She may excel further in one school and not the other. I know a german lady whose husband is american they got married and moved here. Her daughter was 2 grades behind in America. She was in the 4th in Germany and only in 2nd grade here. That surely doesnt mean she was stupid it's just the different learning.
    HoneyPot78

Answer by HoneyPot78 at 2:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I believe this as I have a friend who's kids were in Germany for preschool and K and then came to the states and the parents are less than pleased with the ciriculum here.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:25 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• i moved from florida to england after the 4th grade. they really are 2 yrs ahead in england (and im guessing germ too now) i went from A's to C's, but i still did ok. then came back to the states in 6th grade. i was ahead for awhile, but eventually we were all even again. In england they are so far ahead because they get out of school at 16. they also have the option to carry one with whats called A levels, which would be like college i think.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• ya wheni meet her i was like boy that child is really smart but now????i think i would be a little mad.and why cant usa schools be as advanced as these other countries.my daughter that now 9 has an iep but i knew something was going on when my middle daughter came home from school one day and knew the whole table of periodic elements.
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• When we were stationed in Spain, my youngest son was 4 years old. He turned 5 on December 21st. He was not able to start kindergarten on the military base because of the US rules about kids being 5 by a cut off date (normally in October). He was so ready for school, we enrolled him in a Spanish kindergarten because there they are allowed to start as long as they turn 5 within that year. Even though he spoke very little spanish and his teacher spoke very little English, he learned SO much! Then he started american kindergarten the next year on the base. He had already learned everything they were teaching in kindergarten, so his teacher (who taught both kindergarten and first grade) gave him first grade work. He excelled in doing it. He was so far ahead because of the Spanish kindergarten. Then when we got back to the states, the teachers refused to give him work above his grade level. Now he is very advanced but he finds...
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• school very boring because he already understands everythign they are trying to teach and he can't work ahead. We thought of skipping him a grade but finally got him accepted in the highly capable classes. It does mean he will have to go to a different school but maybe at least now school will interest him again. I do think the US school system is not as good as the school systems overseas. I have known many kids who attended both us and spanish schools and all agree.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• It is too bad that the parents have not been able to find an academically advanced program for their child. If they are in Chicago, please contact me.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2009