so sad, would you have said something?

I was playing with my 2 yo daughter at the pool the other day -- she was jumping in the kiddie pool (with my support) and climbing out. A little girl who looked about a year older saw us having fun, came up, and gestured toward me so I could help her "jump" in, too. After a couple of tries, I looked around for her mom, and it didn't seem like anyone was watching her. I asked her if her mommy was there, and she nodded and muttered, but didn't seem very verbal. I kept playing with my daughter, gave the other girl a couple of turns, bu twas really concerned about where her parents were. She smiled at me and her teeth were extremely crooked and visibly rotted. She was very clingy to me. Anyway, I ended up having to tell the lifeguard that she didn't seem to be accompanied... after about 20 minutes, a woman came from the other pool area and took her by the hand, didn't even acknowledge me. What would you have done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think you handled it well, I would have played with the little girl and then searched for the parents, the only thing I would have done different is let the mother know that it was dangerous to leave such a young child alone. But I would have left it at that, calling DCS isn't always the right answer, if she had visible marks on her body that would have been different, rotting teeth alone doesn't prove a "bad" mom and we don't know the little girls history but she surely wasn't t mother of the year.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:31 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• That's a hard one, having a kid has made me much more vocal especially when it comes to other children. They are so innocent, so I probably would have said some smart ass comment to her so she knew at least someone was watching and noticing. Although with people like that it usually doesn't matter what people tell them they don't care and do whatever they want anyway.
    Anonymous

• I def would say something. I'm soo sick of parents not taking care of their kids. Then seeing them on Amber Alerts. OH my temper! That's neglect and abuse. I would've taken a pic and reported it. Don't get me wrong, I'm awfully strict with my family, but that little girl could just be waiting for an adult with a heart to come an save her. Everyone's responsible for the future of our children. Not just the idiots popping them out. If you saw a child walking in traffic what would you do? Would you go get the kid out of the street? Think about it. I'd call the f*n cops. If you know someone is abused or neglected and you don't say anything you're just as bad.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• OMG.. that's horrible..wahh.. makes me want to cry. I guess I wouldn't have done anything. I mean, really. what can you do? its sad and horrible and when I see that, It makes me hug and love my son twice as hard.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• If a child was left alone at the kiddie pool for 20 minutes unattended, I would have called CPS because to me that is child endangerment and neglect.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2009