how long did you hurt after your c section?

I had a c section 2 1/2 weeks ago and am getting so frustrated that it still hurts so much! I can't stand up straight and walking more than just around the house is too much...I feel trapped in the house!! How long did it take you to feel good enough to get back to normal? I just want to be able to go to the store and take my daughter for a walk...

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 2:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• for 2 weeks I hurt pretty bad still but by around 3 weeks I wasn't feeling much pain at all...just a few pains here and there. It will heal just give it time. Some women take up to 6 full weeks to heal completely
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 2:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• About a month... it hurt pretty bad. It still hurts 19 mo later to do a lot of sit ups and stuff.... still numb and I guess that numbness never goes away. But I walked around our px and commisary 3 days later. They gave me percs and I'd take one and be able to walk but as soon as they wore off it was time to leave. Do you have any help!?? My hubby was there to help me walk to the car and such. It'll feel better soon!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• i would call your doctor. with my first c-section i still had some pain at that point but was able to stand straight and move around on a daily basis w/o any major pain. and if your doctor says everything is normal, you have to force yourself to stand straight, walking bent over all the time means you don't work the stomach muscles to stand fully therefore its not going to get better quicker.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Months. I took three months off after I had mine and I was probably giner for two of those. My cousin had one and she had some healing complications and it took her even more months to recoup. Sorry, I feel you pain.
    Anonymous

• It took me almost a whole month to feel as normal as i could. I had an infection in the incision so i had to go get it cleaned and packed everyday. That happened two weeks after my c-section. But I've heard walking around the house helps. That might have been part of my problem. I was so tired and in pain all the time i hardly moved unless it was to take care of my daughter.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Oh, I feel for you! My first one was SO painful.. I don't know if it was because of the doctor/incision, etc or if it was because of my 50 hours (!!) of natural labor before it... I was taking very, very slow walks of about 2 blocks by about 3 weeks after. But surprisingly, I was able to resume normal activity at 6 weeks, With my second, which was a planned c-section, it took much less time... I had to remind myself I wasn't supposed to pick up my toddler at about 1 week post-partum, because I felt like I could? But I think you're totally in normal range. Don't be afraid to use your pain killers. I think with the first that was part of it. After awhile I just thought I shouldn't be needing them anymore, so I didn't keep them in my system as well, so I was really hurting at about 2 weeks. And so utterly exhausted! Hang in there!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I was sore for about 2 weeks, but it may take longer for others as everyone is different.
    ILUVMYFATGURL

Answer by ILUVMYFATGURL at 2:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• wth m 1st one i stopped taking the pain meds the day after it was done because they were making me feel funny when i was coming off them so my son was born on the 18th i stopped meds on the 19th the dr sent me home with percest but i never took one of them i never hurt except for when they cut me open i felt everything so they knocked me out
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 3:11 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I had a lot of complications and I still felt miserable at 6 months but on the other hand I hear it's normal for women to not be feeling great until 1 year after a c-section.

mom-to-be21 - I also had no anesthesia during my c-section.

For the above mentioned problems I will have a VBAC next time.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I quit taking my pain killers after about a week and a half I think. I was givne the advice to get up and walk as much as possible. that really helped I think. Everbody is different though. I wen to the church to pick up my 8 year old the Sunday after I stopped them. One lady asked how I was feeling and I said I hadn't taken and meds since that Friday and another person who over heard I guess said that she didn't take any pain meds... Just gave me a litle anger that it felt like she was trying to make me feel bad for taking them... oh well everyone is different! I would try to stand up though and do a little. because the more that you gradually work it more, the faster you will get back to normal. IMO
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 4:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2009