How do I deal with my teen?

She is 17 and wants to move put when she is 18.She has no respect for me or her younger siblings but I dont want her to go.

momofsixangels

Asked by momofsixangels at 3:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• if she is moving out when she is 18 unfortunately you kind of have to let her spread her wings. She is afterall an adult then. All you can do is tell her you love her and will support her and hopefully when she falls, she will LEARN from it and not just continue to fall. Remember, we can only learn from our mistakes. And if we never make a mistake, when will we ever learn!
    dunkley4

Answer by dunkley4 at 4:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I don't see the question here?!?
    LLKati

Answer by LLKati at 3:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• This one is hard. Does she have somewhere safe she wants to move? If it would help your relationship with her and her younger sibilings AND where she wants to move is a safe, loving environment.......I'd let her go. You might want to offer LIMITED help. Make her realize that if she moves out she won't get money from you that she must have a job of her own etc.
    Most importantly let her know that no matter what, you love her. That you will support her when she makes smart and healthy choices. I have two 18 yr old boys (they'll be 19 in October). At the moment, they both live home in the summer and one goes during the school year for college while the other lives at home. I do wish you luck with an extremely difficult situation.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Just let her go..
    m0m2twoboys

Answer by m0m2twoboys at 3:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Let her go. If she's determined to go then there will be no way of stopping her. It will be hard for her to go but then she will also need to know that your door is never closed if she needs to come back home.
    Mine are 19, 17, almost 16 .

justjacki

Answer by justjacki at 4:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• You have to give her space. What's the saying? If you love something let it go and it will come back to you. If you smother her, she will hate you.
    mellie369

Answer by mellie369 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Our job as parents is to raise them to be independent people, it's not to hold on to them until they are in their 20's or 30's. If she wants to move out, you can't really do anything about it other than be proud that she wants to be her own person. Our children are always our children but they aren't always our responsibility.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• You just gotta let her go..but she will come back..because she has been with u all her life..she won't give up on her own mama.
    Tricia76

Answer by Tricia76 at 6:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Does she have a plan or is she just leaving to leave? Where will she live? How will she pay for things? Have someone that you both trust talk to her. She is letting her emotions make her decisions. Not a good thing.
    saintjill64

Answer by saintjill64 at 8:24 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• If she is prepared the suport her decision, it is fine if she has thought it thru,but if it is a rash decision then you may want to help her set up a plan to make it a rational choice.
    Wavocheermom

Answer by Wavocheermom at 9:23 AM on Jun. 19, 2008