Do You still ovulate while breastfeeding, with no period??

My daughter just turned 1 year old and I am still breastfeeding her. I haven't had a period yet! Am i still ovulating?? is it possible to conceive?

emturner

Asked by emturner at 4:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Health

• Yes, you can ovulate while breastfeeding, even without a period, and many women have conceived while breastfeeding. I breastfed my (older) daughter until 20 months. That was when I stopped, because I found out I was 8 weeks pregnant! I had had a period, but it was very light and short, so I didn't pay it much mind. But it was enough to get me pregnant again! :-)
    christinaliu

Answer by christinaliu at 4:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• many women don't ovulate while they breasfeed - breastfeeding is a natural birth control, but if your baby goes thru a period where it doesn't feed really heavy (you'll know, your breasts will leak a lot and feel full more often w/out baby being hungry) you can begin ovulating agani and get preggers! i'd do a home test just to be sure and try tracking your baby's feeding needs, and if you DO have a period, try the "rhythm method' where you work out your ovulation cycle and try to not have sex on days you may be ovulating . . . OR, you could get an IUD implanted, works great for most women! works great for me!
    thegoddessofwit

Answer by thegoddessofwit at 5:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• you never can tell when you are going to have that first cycle. So yes you could ovulate. If you want your cycles back then try a chiropractor! I went to one, she got me started and regular when my period had been absent for over 16mo due to breastfeeding. For more info on fertility and breastfeeding look it up on my fav breastfeeding website kellymom.com
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Probably not. But some people do ovulate once before their period would arrive and they do get pregnant
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• You have to ovulate before you get your period, so it makes it really difficult to know. A GREAT book to learn more about ovulation/periods/breastfeeding effects is Taking Charge of Your Fertility. www.tcoyf.com It's a WONDERFUL book, and should be required reading by all women!
    wearingyourbaby

Answer by wearingyourbaby at 12:24 AM on Jun. 23, 2008