why 6 weeks?

why is it so important to wait 6 weeks after giving birth to have sex?

AmandaKay2009

Asked by AmandaKay2009 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• When the placenta comes out it leaves an open wound that has to heal. You don't want to introduce anything that could cause infection.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• for your cervix and body to fully close/heal
    for your cycle to regulate itself again
    so you don't get an infection from putting something into the vagina while your cervix is still open
    now after saying all that, we waited about 4 weeks and then we were done waiting
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• LOL didnt make it six weeks...i didnt make it long at all i had a c-section though...i know someone tht didnt wait 7 days...that was extreme..but....hmmm...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• It is very easy to get a very serious infection if you dont wait the full 6 weeks. I know, I got the infection and my goodness was it painful. My hubby and I last about 3 1/2 weeks and after that, we just couldnt stand it anymore. We tried everything to keep from having sex but... it didnt last. The infection is nasty, painful and just plain disgusting. The doctor visit for it was embarrassing to say the least. To all moms, I suggest you do wait the full 6 weeks, your body is healing for a traumatic experience. Think about it, would you walk around 2 weeks after having a compound fracture (the one that makes your bone go through you skin)? It's a metaphor but I'm sure you understand what I mean. Needless to say, we learned our lesson and we are definitely waiting the full six weeks when we have our next baby.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 3:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• wow i didnt know that was the reason you had to wait...great information
    mommy19741974

Answer by mommy19741974 at 6:25 PM on Jun. 11, 2009