Anyone else having issues with ground beef lately?

My and I have noticed that we're having some horrible bowel problems after we eat ground beef. We thought it was just Kroger's meat, but Meijer is having the same issues.

I know several other people in Ohio and a friend in my state(MI) who are having issues too and have stopped eating ground beef. Anyone else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Food & Drink

• It is probably because you are eating tainted beef. There was a recall in Ohio and several surrounding states on memorial day weekend.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/R01-2008_Release/index.asp

MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 3:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My husband encounters this problem with commercially-produced US beef... not just ground.

If steak doesn't do the same thing to you, it's probably contaminated meat that's not getting cooked enough, but if steak does, it is either that you are having difficulty digesting that much protein and fat in one serving (if you're eating more than about 3oz of meat at a time), or the hormones and antibiotics that are routinely used.

My husband doesn't have a problem with organically-raised US beef. For him, it's something to do with how it's raised.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Oh and here is the expanded list.
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/R01_2008_Expanded/index.asp

We have gone to eating ground turkey for a while. It behaves like beef in recipes (except making burgers) and is "healthier" (not sure if I completely believe that, hence the quotation).
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 3:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I haven't purchased ground beef from a grocery store in several years so I haven't had that problem. We buy ours right from the local meat market and we know exactly whose cows that beef came from.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• You are also putting yourself at risk of mad cow, ecoli, and tons of other infections. Replace the ground beef with beans, lentils, tofu, etc. Feel free to contact me for recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:13 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I live and Ohio and have not had this problem. We eat organic beef but I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:33 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• I live in Wisconsin and I haven't heard of anyone having a problem. I am just sick of ground beef.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2009