How can I teach my speech delayed daughter her abcs 123s n colors

I am going crazii thinking of ways to help my daughter with abcs 123s n colors. I know it takes time n practice and what not but my daughters prek is making it like shes stupid..i know shes not but she just turned 3 in march. She just started prek in end of march bc she was getting speech sessions with early intervention. Anyway what tools /ways can i help her with them? She only counts 1 2 and it wasnt until she turned 3 that she would even say 2 . And every colors pink or red. Any suggestions maybe someone out there has speech delayed child. Ty

MamaOf3Girls09

Asked by MamaOf3Girls09 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't have a speech delayed child, but I have worked with them. If her speech delay prevents her from actually saying the word intelligibly there's not much you can do to help that besides therapy. However, if you just want to get her making other sound utterances to begin saying words focus on one thing at a time. For example, with colors, draw a big circle on a sheet of paper, and color the circle blue. Then do the same thing on another paper and color the circle red. Sit on the floor, take her hand, point to the blue circle and say "blue, this is blue" point to red and say "red, this is red" use her name and say "now (child's name) say blue" and move her hand to blue... "now so and so say red" if needed over annunciate...rrrrrrr eeeeeee ddddd...if she says anything close make a big deal about it...when she can identify blue and red consistently, throw a 3rd color in the mix and do it again.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• when she can identify 3 colors consistently move to 4. stay away from putting pink and red to close together in the learning processes unless she already knows them because they confuse children. Eventually she will be able to correctly identify all her colors, even if she can't say them incredibly clear.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Remember, she doesn't have to be able to say the words to understand the concept.

Have a "Color of the Day": Stick with Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple, Black, Brown, White. Then add Pink and Grey. If possible, dress her or you in the color for that day. Use only that color crayon. Play "Let's spot things in that color" during the day. She may not be able to say the color but she can point and hand you things.

You can do the same thing with letters and numbers but I'd go with a "Letter and Number of the Week" instead of the day. Don't worry if she can't repeat the alphabet. Work on letter recognition instead. When you give her a snack, plan ahead so you can count out this weeks number... one oreo cookie or 6 teddy graham cookies... I doubt you want to give her 6 oreo's at once! Use painters masking tape to write letters or numbers on the floor and have "races" to see who can get to the one you say first.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My son was in speech therapy for 6 months after he turned 2. I sat with the therapist every time. She exaggerated words and had him look at her mouth so he could see how she formed the words. After the six months, he would not stop talking. We used flash cards and toys he liked. Took him forever to say car! I worked with him every day even in little ways. Talk about the color of her favorite dolls dress, or how many fingers are on your hand. You could try writing letters on pieces of paper and taping them around the house. Go on an Alphabet hunt! Anything to make it fun.
    cjsmom315

Answer by cjsmom315 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2009