What should I be??

I'm 20 years old and am a single mom, going to college full time... I have to pick one.

Dermatology-

Pros- I have a thing for picking at people's skin. It's a promising job with definite money and health benefits. I won't ever have to worry about not having a job. I would make ALOT of money. After a while, you buy out the business and you don't even have to be a doctor, because other people are doing it for you. Eventually, you sit at home and do nothing, and you your still making BANK.

Cons- I don't think I could ever sit in an office- day in and day out. I would be miserable.

Teacher-

Pros- I'm really good at teaching things to other people. Example- I've helped my friends and classmates understand math and science. I helped a girl go from failing Chemistry- to a B, by showing her how to understand it. Same ideas with math- I just explain things in a way that they get it.

CONTINUED as a c

tbear2008

Asked by tbear2008 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• Everyone always tells me that I should be a tutor or take over the class :) I would have great vacation time and benefits. I would interact with different people on a day to day basis.

Cons- Teaching the same thing year after year will probably be really repetitive and boring. Jobs for teachers are getting lower each year. You don't make that much money.

Architect-

I haven't done much research on this idea, but I think it's something I would be really interested in. I love to draw and am pretty good at it. I want to be the person who oversees the entire process of the building- and draw the layouts for it.

Cons- I don't know how much money I will make, if I get benefits, and if I would have to travel.

Pilot-

this is my dream job!! I would LOVE this! But I don't want to because I would either travel and be away from my daughter way too much, or take her with me. I don't want her always moving from pla
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I would lean towards dermetology or teaching. AYou may fel like any job would get boring after doing the same thing over and over, but the people you work with with keep changing. their seems to be a high demand for the medical field, but I would think you need to enjoy it more than picking someones skin LOL. Good money in it. Teachers dont make as much but summers off with your child is awesome!! I wish i had that time with my dd. Always a hassle trying to get summer babysitters and missing alot of activities with her. I woud lconsider those 2 options. In medical you could also be an xray tech, or sonogram tech...
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Heres my advice to you...i dont know how much teachers make in your area, but if you like it and your good at it the money will seem more rewarding...theres NOTHING that says you cant follow through with your dreams sometime...if you dont want to be away from you daughter, wait until shes older to start school for that. your VERY YOUNG!! you have time...so do maybe your second choice...and gear up for your dream job. you dont have to put your dreams away permanently..i think its great you consider your child..so many people just dont care!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:29 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Architects make good money, but it requires a lot of schooling, and it could require travel, depending upon what type of architecture you go into. It requires excellent math skills and an extensive knowledge of engineering principles.

To be a dermatologist, you DO have to be a doctor. Are you talking about a person who gives facials?

Teaching doesn't have to be repetitive. You don't have to teach exactly the same things the same way, and your students will always be different. It also depends upon what age group you would be teaching. I'd say go with teaching.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:33 PM on Jun. 12, 2009