Percentage of good grammar, punctuation, and spelling?

I find it unsettling to read post after post of poorly formed sentences, atrocious spelling, appalling grammar, and inadequate vocabulary.

Does anyone else here feel that way?

Is this really what the public education system is churning out, or is it purely a lack of caring?

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 3:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I do agree and also find it quite sad.  There's a difference between a misspelled word or a piece of forgotten punctuation (I make those mistakes myself) and not caring at all about how one presents one's self.  It's true that spell-check doesn't catch everything (like usage of the wrong their/they're/there) but to not make any attempt to write cohesively, and then get offended when someone casually states they find it "unsettling"?  It's obvious when someone is ESL or has a true learning disorder, or whether they're just plain lazy.

Anonymous

• shutup lady who the hell cares!!
    Anonymous

• How do you know I'm a lady? Hahaha! If you don't care, then the question wasn't addressed to you in the first place.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Yeah, it's kind of scary to me how uneducated people seem to be. Even if you're not an ace with the english language, spell check is NOT hard to figure out!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 4:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I have a pretty good education and am interested in good communication and grammar. I even use spellcheck on my posts, but regularly, I'll post the answer and then read my answer and see spelling errors or letters left off or the wrong word used in my own post. This is a casual site, not a university site, so I don't let reading errors by others bother me. As long as communication is achieved- that is what is important.

Answer by Bmat at 4:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Yes, there are some ladies here who constantly complaing about it. But, if that is all you have to worry about. Kudos to you!
    Anonymous

• if you post it, its addressed to everyone! looks like someone didnt use there brain today!lol
    i find it disrespectful to make fun of someones spelling! are you the spelling police?
    Anonymous

• *are constantly complaining*
    Anonymous

Ok...grammar gestapo! lol
    Anonymous

• Um, i have taken Professional Communication, Public speaking and American literature in college and guess what, i still misspell words on here, You know why? because i am not in class, i am on the internet. So get over it.
    Anonymous