How do I wean my 6 month old from breastfeeding?

My 6 month old daughter has been an avid nurser since birth. She will take the occasional bottle of formula and has started solid food. She co-sleeps and usually nurses on and off all night. Today I went to the doctor and he recommended that I start Celexa, an anti-depressant. He said that I should stop breastfeeding before I begin taking it. I feel guilty about ending breastfeeding now, since it is such a wonderful bonding experience for me and my daughter, but I feel like I really need to start taking the medicine. Any advice on how to wean the baby without too much crying? I don't want her to feel abandoned. :-(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Start very small...maybe even pump more and freeze the milk so you can still BF for awhile...if you decide to go to formula start replacing one to two small bottles a day, then move it up from there, start with the night time bottles...then go up to more important ones
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I would probably sleep train first. Move her into her own crib or pack n play so that the temptation and the smell isn't right next to her all night. Once she's got that down, start replacing a feeding or two a day with formula. The slower you do it, the less it will bother you (your boobs) and the less it'll bother her. Then, just stop altogether.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Since you said she will take a bottle of formula, try a giving it to her twice a day/night and hold her like you would when breastfeeding her, but give her a bottle instead so you still have the closeness. It will take her a while to get used to it. I'd say pump, because your breast are going to get engourged, and will hurt like hell. Save the breast milk you pumped, and give it to her in a bottle at night, so she's still getting the breast milk at night, this way she gets used to taking a bottle at night. Once she's used the bottle for more three or more feedings, i'd say just start giving her a bottle, It may take a week or two before you get her completely off the breast. If you want to make sure she feels loved, and not abandoned, spend a little more time holding her or playing with her after she finishes her bottle
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 4:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• oh, give her the bottle when shes hungry enough to eat, but not extreamly hungry.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 4:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• You don't have to stop BFing if you don't want to. I'm on prozac and breastfeed. Talk to a lactation consultant as doctors aren't very knowledgable about what passes through milk.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• you do not have to wean if you do not want to here is a link that provides information regarding medical studies that were done on mother's breastfeeding babies while taking that drug.
    also, please contact your local la leche league. one of the leaders can give you more information regarding medical studies done by hale regarding any kind of medication.

http://www.obfocus.com/reference/Formulary/Drugs%20in%20Pregnancy/Citalopram.htm

also, i had ppd after the birth of my second child and i took lexapro to manage that for a few months until i weaned myself off of it. many mothers breastfeed and take anti-depressants. anti-depressants are compatible with breastfeeding because an extremely low amount of the drug passes into the milk.
    Anonymous

• I took Prozac while I was nursing for PPD. Tell your doctor to give you something that's safe for breastfeeding.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 6:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• You don't have to stop. please don't. Whats in that formula is FAR worse than your milk. FACT
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 6:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I agree with the above, get something that is safe with breastfeeding its gonna b hard to get her used to sleeping alone and stop nursing all b4 u get anti depresents, but even if u do get a safe for breastfeeding dose, or drug u should still start the freezing of breastmilk and sleeping in her own bed just incase something came up with needing a higher dose, or even a completly diffrent, not safe for breastfeeding drug. it will also b easier when she stops nursing if u r both prepared like that, so u dont have to do it later.
    kyliebugs_mommy

Answer by kyliebugs_mommy at 6:27 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• There are VERY few drugs that are unsafe to take while nursing. Check out the book "Medications and Mothers' Milk" by Dr. Thomas Hale. It's THE resource for nursing moms.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2009