I know I'm crazy but we're going camping... (PIOG)

with our 9 month-old and 2 year-old (and another couple who has a 1 and 3 year-old). We're doing a super-easy, convenient, car camping site, we're going to bring meals already prepared, etc. The only issue we're trying to figure out is sleeping arrangements. We don't co-sleep, but we'll be doing it this one night in a 9 x 7 ft. tent (our family of 4 only; the other family has their own tent)! We have a queen-sized air mattress, but I'm not sure if we can use that safely. Also, our girls go to bed much, much earlier than we do typically (like 7-8 pm vs. 11-12!) We're totally prepared to split the difference and all go to bed somewhere in the middle if that's the only way it will work, but we'd love to be able to put them down and sit with our friends for at least a few minutes after (we'd be very, very close by, of course). Any suggestions on making this work, or should I just drop those illusions right now?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 4:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• can you fit a pack n play in there for the younger one? the 2 yr old would be fine sleeping with you guys for the night. just make sure she understands its a special thing and for that night only. as far as bedtime, put them to bed then sit outside the tent w/your friends. its the same as putting them into their beds at home then going out to the living room, they'll be fine. if they don't room together normally you may want to put the 2 yr old down first and after she falls asleep put the 9 month old down
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:27 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I had thought of the pack n play idea, but I'm not sure it will fit with the rest of us. I'll try it out...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Id try the pack n play. my cousin drowned at 13months when there family went camping, she crawled out of the tent and fell into the river. she was sleeping on an air bed in between my aunt and uncle. we were recently talking about taking our daughter,1, camping also and i will only take her if i can zip tie the tent closed, or take my pack n play, which i will end up doing both, then just cutting the zip tie off in the morning. also, if u buy the foam mattress pads, get a thick one or 2, its easier than an airbed in a tent with a pack n play, we went camping with the another cousin, same family(her sister one who drowned) well, she had a son we went camping with him, we bought foam pads, and set a pack n play up, the edge of pack n play was on the foam pads but it fit, thats all that counted. Have fun camping!!!
    kyliebugs_mommy

Answer by kyliebugs_mommy at 6:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Btw...didnt mean to sound morbid, when i re read it it kinda did. after going threw that with my family, i dont want neone to c that.
    kyliebugs_mommy

Answer by kyliebugs_mommy at 6:09 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Kyliebugs mommy, No, you didn't sound morbid. I would have shared that bit of info in your place, too! Thanks for the advice about the foam pads. I'll have to look for those (am I looking in camping gear, or are you talking about those egg shell foam things -- which, come to think of it, I have no idea where to find).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• The nine month old is too young for an air matress. I'm wondering if you can get a lock for the tent zippers? I would think even the pack and play mat might be helpful.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:37 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I agree 9 months is too young for the air mattress I would try the pack and play. As for bedtime my kids usually crash on our laps sitting around the fire and we simply lay them down on one of those sun bathing chairs laid flat near the fire until we are ready for bed (you could possibly use something like that instead of the pack and play). Mine are 2 and 4 years and we have been camping with them since they were born (literally almost, 4 year old was 8 weeks when we went the first time and 2 year old was 10 weeks). We have a camper though and we all sleep in there.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:34 AM on Jun. 12, 2009