Do u think its Wrong

Do u think its wrong. to take away toys from my 3 year old. He knows how to mess them up but not clean them up. and i want to make changes in my life and his life. I want him to learn how to clean up. well today, he would not listen to me and started yellewing at me, so i decided to take his toys away from him. for a week, is that crel. are i'm i doing okay? please help me. i dont want to be a bad mommy are a mean mommy

shellie29

Asked by shellie29 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He can earn them back by showing responsiblity in other ways. Helping you put dishes away, practicing putting other toys/books/stuff away. Practicing is actually a good way to help kids get in the habit of good behavior. For instance, if my son runs in the house, I have him practice walking the same route a couple of times to remember to use his walking feet. Same with putting toys away. Take them out and have him practice putting them away. You may find that the reasons for not putting them away is not laziness, but rather a lack of knowing "where to start" or not really remembering where everything should go, or something like that. You can try labeling where toys belong with pictures and then turn putting away into a game of matching the toys with the pictures. This works well if you have toy bins or shelves where everything should go. Good luck.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 6:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• i think a week is a little much for a 3 year old. but its not wrong to take a childs toys away i personally think a week is too long though for a child 3 years old
    Anonymous

• a week seems kinda long to me. i'd go with a day or two. and no its not wrong, i take my daughters toys away from her when she doesn't want to listen or when she doesn't want to clean them up. normally i'll take whatever she didn't clean up and she can't play with it again for a few days. but if you are taking away all the toys, than i'd go with just one or two days, you'll be punishing yourself too with the whole him not bugging about his toys for a week. and to get him to clean, if he wants to pull out a new toy the old one goes away, until the old one gets put up he can't play with the new one, thats the main rule in my house, unless she is in her playroom and that she picks up before lunch and again before bed. otherwise she can pull out whatever she wants throughout the day, but its also in the back of the house so toys aren't all over the place.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I think a week is a long time for a 3 year old...Maybe for the afternoon only a few hours.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• okay thank u. i will bring them out some time tommorw. thanks eeryone
    shellie29

Answer by shellie29 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I see you've already got your answer, but I just wanted to add that more than likely at some point your child is going to call you mean mama, but don't let it discourage you. that usually means you are being a good mom, unless, of course, it's something extreme like beating them with something.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Taking away the toys is not mean; however, rather than making an arbitrary time for the loss of privelege, find a way for him to EARN them back. That way he can understand that the bad behavior loses priveleges, but good behavior earns priveleges.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 6:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I agree, use the earning them back route. In my house if something gets taken away you earn it back by doing extra. My son is 3, so usually I say if you pick up toy a and help mommy with _____ you can get back your blocks, or cars, or whatever has been taken away. And I tend to offer this agreement about an hour after the toy was taken away. Sometimes he chooses to still be stubborn, so the toy remains in the closet and we move on, but 9/10 times he chooses to help to get back what was lost. This way he learns the responsibility of chores in a fun way by being mommies helper and he also learns cause and effect of is own actions and behavior. Good Luck!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:40 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Thats so right. I would never dream of beating my child. i do spank his butt when he does something wrong though.
    how do i get him to Earn them back???
    shellie29

Answer by shellie29 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• OH WOW. thats great also. i will go to walmart and get some stuff for that. thats actully great
    shellie29

Answer by shellie29 at 7:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2009