Where can I get a home uterine monitor?

I am looking to buy or rent a home monitor to monitor my contractions. Do you know any websites online I can buy from? Noone around here rents them & our hospital is too small to have them. The nurse told me about them.

JaceyAmbrielle

Asked by JaceyAmbrielle at 4:37 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have not heard of this before, If you do find anything out let me know.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Google.... I'm sure you could find somewhere that sells them that way.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 5:39 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• that's a very expensive purchase, why do you think you need one?

you can mesure your contractions with a watch- hospitals have those machines just to see how soon they come and go, which could be done with a watch, they just dont have the man power to sit in a room all day timing them.

I wouldnt bother buying one of those because its not needed.

Im really curious, why is it that you want one so badly.

Email me.

judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 6:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• You want to be an electronic fetal monitor to observe contractions? WHY?!

They should be used by train professionals; even still "trained professionals" don't always know how to read them. They often get misinterpreted.

No one should be renting them, it is a HUGE liability!!! They have risks assoicated with them.

Use a stopwatch to monitor your contractions.

cali4niachef

Answer by cali4niachef at 11:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Also EFM (electronic fetal monitors) cost THOUSANDS of dollars, at least $10,000! It's professional medical equipment.
    cali4niachef

Answer by cali4niachef at 11:39 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Why would you want one of those? A simple watch would do the trick.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:43 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Seriously, just get a watch with a second hand and time the length between the beginning of one contraction to the beginning of another and how long each lasts. That will give you a decent idea of what stage of labor you're in. You can feel how strong they are yourself, you don't need a machine to tell you that. The only thing those are good for is if you're numbed by an epidural and can't feel contractions or the urge to push. And I'm presuming if you're at home, you won't be having an epidural.
    GothyMama

Answer by GothyMama at 4:54 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• http://www.matria.com/wchealth/obstetrical-homecare-services
    I found this company that rents them for about $65 a day.
    JaceyAmbrielle

Answer by JaceyAmbrielle at 5:13 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• If you talk to your insurance company, the Dr. writes you a prescription, and you the existing conditions that require it i.e. Cervical incompetence or previous 2nd trimester loss due to Pre-term labor. There are a few other conditions that they will approve. Good Luck. I have cervical incompetence so my insurance company would approve it if the Dr wrote a Rx
    Anonymous