Why do you think some campanies do it and some don't?

On auto insurance, i have been getting quotes to see if i am still at the best place for us. Anyways, one of our vehicles is registered and financed in my grandmas name. We were not able to get financing in out name due to credit. But anyways some companies don't have a problem with , they just list her as the person the car is titled in. I don't even have to put her on the policy as a driver. But somecompanies wont even give a quote because they can't do it. I would think that it wouldn't matter who it was registered in as long as the people that drive it have insurance on it . I mean if i didn't drive a vehicle i wouldn't want to pay for insurance on someone elses. But i may be looking at it wrong. Anyways i just wanted to see if anyone ever worked in insurance and could explain it a little better. All the agents say is that they can't quote it because the company doesn't allow it . but don't say anything specific.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• I can't be 100% sure, but I believe it's b/c if it's titled in her name, they have no way to prove she doesn't drive it, and if she were to drive it and have an accident, they would still have to pay on it, even though she's not listed as a driver. So, rather than deal with that, they just won't do it. It's one of those things where even though you're honest, it ends up hurting you.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Oh, one additional thought.....can you be added to the registration? I know you can't be on the loan, but maybe if you can get your name put on the registration, it might eliminate the problem?
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I had to do this with my dad. some states have laws that say that everything has to be in the name of the first person on the title. for example my dad was the first name on my cars title mine was second. everything had to be in his name and in the state of NY where he lived and not in NJ where I lived.

put the insurance in your grandma's name and have you and your SO as drivers on the policy.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 6:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• hmm really? my husband was driving his moms car and we had no problem gettign insurance for it in our name wihtout his mom being on it. Also my van is in my dads name and again no ioissues wtih the insurance
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 8:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• it does depend on companies cause there are certain laws that the state has that they have to follow. not sure why but i'm sure there have been scams. maybe cause if you insure under someone else name and they are a good driver but your not. they are not getting the rates for the coverage that you are suppose to be in. then the ins company is losing money. see they search your back ground and rate the rates on what your record is like. maybe that is why when you get an accident in another car your insurance covers you in that other car cause the coverage may not be enough in it. who really knows. i bet it has to do with money though.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• it is impossible to insure a car in WA state if the title/loan is in someone else's name. Legalities as to who can/could be sued if there was a wreck.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 11:12 AM on Jun. 12, 2009