how to disapline my autistic son

i have a 5 year old awsome autistic son, but as much as i love him i have to give him boundries and disapline for bad behavior. i am looking for some help fm u autistic moms out there, esspically for specific behavioral probs like not wanting to eat dinner (and choosing to sit in a corner intead???) and temper tantrums in public. pls help with any and all advice!!

BrandyVautour

Asked by BrandyVautour at 5:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just keep trying. Does he have texture issues? Is he a picky eater? You might try just giving him what he will eat. Which i would NEVER ever recomend that to a parent of a typically devoloping child but you do what you have to for our special little guys with ASD. I wish you the best of luck. I am not a mom of a child with ASD. ...but i did provide respite care for families with children who have ASD and my younger brother has ASD/aspergers.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• is he high functioning? I know for my son when he has his meltdowns we need to step back a bit I then put on a weighted vest until he can calm down sometimes he wears this while eating or doing other activities. I also saw an article where they put a band around the 2 front legs of the chair and the autistic or ADHD child could wrap their feet behind it and that gives them the added muscle work they need to stay seated. Be firm be consistent and follow thru. take breaks when yo can and ask for others to help you when you can Good luck

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 5:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• he is high functioning, so much so that i try to keep one eye on reg 5 yr old traits and one eye on autism. what is this weighted vest that u speak of just grape, i'm curious!! feeding time sucks but i can"t allow aidan to choose his foods b/c he would eat crap and snack all day long as much as this can be difficult it's public meltdowns and demanding of toys and such that is hard when we are out, ant advice??
    BrandyVautour

Answer by BrandyVautour at 6:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• the weighted vest is something a lot of therapists use with ADHD and Autism kids. It hold 10% of their weight (so my sons is 6 pounds) for the most part is is a 20 min on 20 min off process
    I made mine because they are so expensive. I have also heard parents using fishing vests and putting the weight in all of the pockets in those vests. I will post more in a minute
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 6:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Deep Pressure and Weighted Vests can be highly beneficial to some children with autism, sensory integration disorder, ADHD and other neurological disorders. Based on the sensory integration technique of deep pressure providing the child with unconscious information from the muscles and the joints, the added weight or pressure may help the child calm down and better integrate sensory information. As a result, the child may become more organized, and improve in their ability to concentrate on play, learning or eating.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 6:20 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• here is a web site. You can google weighted vests + Autism

http://www.especialneeds.com/sensory-motor-weighted-vests.html

They are costly about 100.00 that is why I made my own for less than $10.00
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 6:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• awsome thanks! he does have some deep pressure needs
    BrandyVautour

Answer by BrandyVautour at 7:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I can pretty much tell in the morning if Eric is going to have a rough day. So I use the vest on him before school and it helps him on the bus ride so he can make it to school w/out a meltdown. I also use it at bed time we lay it on him so he can get to sleep then when we go to bed we check him and take it off him.

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 7:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2009