Do you think a rewards system for sleeping in his own bed is a good idea?

I am trying to get my 2 yo DS to sleep in his room all night, but I don't know exactly how to do it. I read somewhere that doing a chart like a potty chart works. I just wanted to get opinions first. Thanks Ladies!!!!

3paynes

Asked by 3paynes at 5:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• that's what i would do. a sticker chart. and if he gets through the whole night without crawling into bed with you then he gets a sticker. when the chart is full he gets a reward.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Maybe like a sticker chart that you put on the calander where every morning IF he makes it, he can pick a sticker to put on that day?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:43 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• That's a great idea. But remember to keep rewards coming. Don't expect him to get 20 stickers before he gets a reward, cause for a 2 yo. that's a LONG time. 5 stickers and a small rewards (like picking from a basket of $1 store toys) is great.

Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 5:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Thanks!! I just wasn't sure about the whole thing, but now I feel better!!
    3paynes

Answer by 3paynes at 6:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• A sticker chart worked awesome for my daughter and it's a great motivator. She had a potty chart and is completely potty-trained now and is working on a bedtime chart. We started it a week ago and have had the bed to ourselves ever since. She loves the idea and tells everyone about her chart and stickers. Letting your DS pick out the stickers will go a long way. Good Luck!!!
    Alexandrasmo823

Answer by Alexandrasmo823 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• If it works, go for it!
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 7:11 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Rewards are great for things like that. My friend actually paid her kids to stay in bed (a penny a night -- but it worked!)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:34 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My daughter gets "big girl cupons" that she can cash in for fun stuff- library trips, roller skating, a new book, ect. 10 cupons= 1 fun thing. It works Wonders!
    ccspiratemama

Answer by ccspiratemama at 9:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My daughter liked those glow in the dark stars! Each night that she stayed in her bed and went to sleep, she got a plastic, glow in the dark star. We stuck them to her ceiling and very soon she had a whole "sky" full of stars. Let the light stay on for a little while before he gets into bed and then when the lights go out they will glow. You might want to start off the first night with a star already on the ceiling so he can see what it will be like and to motivate him to get more of them.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 11:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• By the way, we found the stars at the dollar store!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2009