Why is getting help such a bad thing?

My little family of 3 was on WIC for about a year. I don't feel bad about it. I'm very very grateful for it. It is there for us citizens when we need it. I paid my taxes into programs like that, and continue to do so, and I'm fine with that.
I don't get why some people seem to view "help" as such a bad thing. I appreciate it in all its forms. Help from family, friends, strangers; help FOR them as well. I'd rather be a community than a "tough, lone ranger-type who never has to accept help from anyone, thank-you-very-much"
And the idea of "You shouldn't have a baby if you can't afford it"... well, really. It doesn't always work that way no matter how smart you think you are.

sfwilson

Asked by sfwilson at 5:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• it's not a bad thing at all and i don't understand why some people think it is either. a lot of families have wic. i'm a military wife and my family is eligible for wic, as are many other military families. there should be nothing wrong with getting help.
    Anonymous

• I think the people who do think it is bad have either never been in a situation that called for them to need help and therefore do not understand it when others do.... Or they are just plain and simple close minded pig headed individuals who think they are above anyone not like them.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 5:47 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• The difference is that you paid taxes and used the services you had paid into for a while to help when you needed it. No problem. I have a problem with the people who think it is their birth right. They never work, never pay taxes and act as if they somehow deserve it because it is owed to them.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• people that think its bad are republicans!

They are just to "high class" to use government programs designed to help people though ruff times.

I do however have a hard time when I see people come in with food stamps wic checks and a welfare debit card and they are buying cigarettes and alcohol.

if they cant afford food, formula, milk and cheese for there children or for themselves why do they need cigarettes and alcohol?

But for the people that REALLY need it, go for it, because there is nothing wrong with asking for help when you actually need it.

judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 5:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Haha Judith- that is ridiculous. I know a lot of republicans and I myself am a semi-apolitical leaning towards conservativism. Please don't bring that business!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 5:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I also agree with Jessie-
    Its not a birth right just because your American and need help.
    I think you should have had to give into the system to get something back from it.
    If you have never had a job, or payed taxes than you shouldnt be allowed to get state aid, you should be put into a work program.
    once you've gotten a job and put in, than you could get the help.
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 5:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• help isn't bad
    if u need it u need it
    only proud people that dnt make no sense shun help
    lanlan

Answer by lanlan at 5:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I'm a Republican and a mom, and I think you do what you have to in order to feed your baby. I'm glad programs like WIC help families that need it at times. If I needed help, I would sing up to ensure my baby was healthy. Everyone needs help at some time in their life, whether it's from family, friends or state-sponsored programs. I have no idea what politial affiliation has to do with it.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 6:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• im not ashamed of needing help or asking for more. i get link card. only problem is now that i have been on disability since last nov. and not getting reg checks like i need to be i need more help but dont know where to start and i did get a lil bit of start but no help. idk what to do! i tried to apply for section 8 i believe thats how you say it. well they said im not behind rent...well because ive been breakin my back literally tryin to find a way to make sure i dont get kicked out. why would i let it go to the point i might get kicked out in order to get help. even then thats not a garuntee i have a child i have to worry about im not takin chance when theres a child involved but now i have absolutely nothing left and idk what to do...but no im not ashamed to ask for help. i didnt ask to be disabled i didn't plan on it, i didnt' plan on getting cancer...sometimes shit happens
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 6:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• my husband works and im a sahm we get wic. and had food stamps for a while. but i believe that if you need it then use it but as far a food stamps go.. i think there needs to be drug testing. the office i go to there were people getting there cards and stuff for food stamps and you could very easily see they were stoned.
    Anonymous