Problems with my 12 yr old Potty Mouth How can I stop it?

My son has a big potty mouth problem

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• And......?
    I mean like, can you give more details? Do you and hubby "cuss"/Curse whatever the politically correct term is?
    My son says "God Damn it" when he gets angry. I yelled at him and he said,"Oh sorry mom, GOSH Damnit" I know I know it was so wrong, but I laughed. I know, I'm the worst parent in the world, but it WAS funny AT THE TIME.
    Needless to say, My son has become familiar with the taste of Palmolive and hasn't cussed since.
    Go ahead haters, yell at me for doin it, but GOSH DAMNIT! IT WORKED!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 8:28 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• If it is a huge issue at home, dock his allowance every time he curses. If the punishment is something that will really effect him, hopefully he will clean up his act.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Introduce his mouth to a bar of soap. If you've tried everything else and it hasn't worked, I suggest washing his mouth out with soap. After the second time of doing it my dd hasn't cursed since. Her new phrase is "What the..." and she leaves it at that. Good luck!
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• This is not acceptable language at our house, and has never been around our daughter. I know these words are common at school and at work, but home is a haven. We still use the BW (bad word) jar; it is for the George Carlin 7.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:44 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Wash his mouth out with soap or hot sauce (or Chinese mustard).. it works..
    Anonymous

• Make him brush teeth with baking soda-tastes awful but is really good for mouth and gums. Soaps and detergents have so many poisons in them they would worry me if ingested.

higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 5:27 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Hard labor should do the trick - lol. What I really mean is a chore that he HATES every time the potty mouth acts up - a chore per bad word (like mowing the grass, or picking up dog poo in the yard, cleaning the toilet). That should make him think twice before he opens his mouth!
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Make him write dictionary pages or Bible passages whenever he swears. You can say for each time you are caught swearing, you have to write 1 dictionary page. It is a punishment that will have a positive affect on him when he goes to take his SAT's, he will be awesome on the vocabulary section. This is what I do to my son and just the threat of the dictionay is enough to keep him from swearing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• When I talked back or said something bad, I literally got my mouth washed out with soap. Disgusting and effective.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 4:28 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I have a 12 and 14 yo daughters, both whom have a potty mouth.I take the blame for that,however.I would NOT recomend using soap.I only threatened it and had cps called on me for it.Swear jars work if they are willing to do it.Samething with chores.Most importantly is living what you ask of them.Cussing is a bad habit, one that many people share.No matter your religious stance, it makes a person come across less intettigent, i.e there are plenty of words that can replace the ones you don't want your kids using.
    lolmomcatwut

Answer by lolmomcatwut at 12:05 PM on Jun. 16, 2009