Am I being unreasonable demanding that perspective buyers make an appointment to see the house I'm renting that is currently on the market?

We just moved in November and we signed a 1 year lease. We were just informed our landlord put our house on the market on Monday. This is the 2nd time I've been through this with a rental. I told the RE agent that people need to call and make an appointment to see the house. Today someone showed up with out confirming an appointment (left a message but we never confirmed) and I turned them away. The agent for our house called me up and yelled at me for not letting them in. I have a life besides seeing to it that a house I signed a 1 yr lease on gets sold!!!! She thinks just cuz they're giving us a mere 200$ break in rent I MUST let anyone in no matter appointment or short notice!!!! The break in rent won't even cover moving expenses!! I'm not refusing to show it I just want ample notice before I let strangers walk around my house!!!

calzacmom

Asked by calzacmom at 5:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• No, I don't think you're being unreasonable. It is terribly rude for someone to just show up unannounced and expect you to drop everything you're doing to show them the house. The agent should understand that too, if you know a prospective buyer is coming, you have time to tidy up a little and make the house more presentable.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• no I dont think you are being unreasonable at all! I would be pretty ticked if people just showed up. What if you were sleeping, or had guests over. That would be pretty rude I think! I would ask that they call and confirm also.
    kclick213

Answer by kclick213 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• As a renter, you have rights, too.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• You're not being unreasonable. If it were me, and I get like this sometimes, I would make it a point to not clean up. If they show up unannounced again, let them in but don't pick up a thing.
    Maybe then the RE will get the hint that you're not playing.

I just sold my house and my RE decided to negotiate a better deal for herself behind my back. She stood to make a better commission faster than what would have been better for my husband and I. We ended up spending our entire savings just to close. To add insult to injury, the RE was a friend of mine, knew I just got married in february and that we just learned we are pregnant.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 6:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I would answer the door naked, one time. I will bet that the RE agent will never let that happen again.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I too am a renter have been for years and unfortunately this is part of renting however, I have been known to make sure I point out every last detail of what is wrong with the house, such as a poor roof patching job, or low water pressure, etc.
    theboysmom311

Answer by theboysmom311 at 6:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I don't know about the lease you signed but in our lease it states that at any reasonable time during the day the owners, property managers and/or prospective leasers (or buyers if they decide to sell the house) can come by. Customarily they will give a courtesy call to let us know someone is coming by, but they don't HAVE to. It's in our lease. I may not like it, but it's the way it is. Check your lease agreement. I am sure there's something in there about this situation.
    Anonymous

• Wow. No your not being unreasonable, they are, but thats fine! I have to agree with previous posters. Don't pick your place up. Hell I wouldn't even clean anymore! If the RE agent wants to be that way, let her! I would have fun with this shitty situation:)
    Anonymous

• sorry *you're
    Anonymous

• no your not being unreasonable. It's actually a violation of your rights as a tenant to not have at least 24 hour notice. I would look up tenant's rights for your state. That RE is out of line and unprofessional.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 6:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2009