in the middle of the night

i hear my son in the crib talkin to him self and then whining then he will cry and stop then like 15 mins.. he will actually cry cry .. i get up right away.. my SO tells me to wait but i do until he cry crys i wait.. just how long do u let him cry for ...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't. Crying alone in a room is horrible for any age.

Under 1 year - it's still a SIDS risk.
    Get your baby the second he sounds upset. Amd cuddle him. You're a mother, not a warden.
    Anonymous

• My son did this too. Let them be alone long enough (you determine that) so they know that they can soothe themselves and they are ok. I would go in to my son when the cries were so severe. Usually by then it was he peed or needed to be fed. Then on instances it would be where he was really scared of a shadow or something and wanted to be held.

Mothers know what their child needs even when words aren't used. You will learn what each cry means although it takes time. You're doing fine, Just don't ignore the lil man. He will be ok and so will you.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 6:14 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• in the middle of the night i try not to let him cry, we live in an 1 bedroom apt so hes in our room lol, but during the day i will chek him to make sure hes not wet or hungry and if he still cries while being held i let him lay there for like 5 mins then hes usually fine when i pick him up and stops crying.
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• As long as he is crying he is ok, unless it is the pain cry. Mamas know the pain cry from the attention cry. Let him cry it out, he will keep it up if you come running every time.

Mom of a 5yr. old and 13 yr. old.
    theboysmom311

Answer by theboysmom311 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I wouldnt let him just cry cry for too long, u know the cry when to go get him, they do need to know they can soothe them selves so a little bit of crying under 5 min is ok, inless its that "one cry"
    kyliebugs_mommy

Answer by kyliebugs_mommy at 6:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My daughter would cry in the middle of the night until she found her passi or bottle... about 2 minutes usually. If she cried for more than like 3 minutes I would go get her. But she almost always went back to sleep on her own after a minute or two whereas if I went in the room she thought I was there to get her up and she would be wide awake and wanting to play or whatever for two hours.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 6:31 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I agree with everyone but the first answer. They learn how to soothe themselves and go back to sleep, UNLESS you jump up and grab him up at every little peep. Moms learn their babies different cries.
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 7:43 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• i was told too let them cry for no longer then 5 minutes babies need too cry too wake them self up or too help go back too sleep also if you are nursing let them cry so that way they are more wake and will nurse longer so they do not walk up too soon next time crying does not hurt it helps them too develop their lungs
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 9:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I agree, you will soon figure out when to go and when not to.... I use to let my first cry it out and he is an awesome sleeper now.. I use to run and get my second because I did not want him to wake everyone and he is a terrible sleeper STILL!

Good luck!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 12:51 AM on Jun. 12, 2009