ummm a racoon just sat on my trash can and stared at me for 10 mins...

i was afraid to move b/c i didn't want him to think i was a threat but i've heard if they are out and running around in the middle of the day than it means they aren't healthy and may attack. does anyone know if this is true? i have called the city and complained about the house next door 4 times this month, its for sale, vacant and no one has cut the grass in month, i've seen mice in the yard there and now apparently raccoons live there as well. i've been letting my daughter play out front (their back yard is worse than the front and i'm afraid something will come into our yard from theres, especially mice/rats getting into the play stuff out there so we don't play out there right now) but now i'm afraid b/c i was sitting on my front porch when he did that. so anyone know, and if so what can i do about keeping them away?

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 6:37 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I would try mouse traps along the fence where they might come through.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• when i went to Iowa to visit the inlaws, i was sitting on their front porch talking to friends back home waiting for the guys to get back from the casino, and a HUGE opossum jumped off the roof like 3 feet from me, i was so scared! he stared at me, i ran into the grass, then rembered, shit snakes in the grass(id have an instant heartattack if i saw a snake too) ran into street where a racoon was hiding behind one of their trucks, he stared at me too, so crazy, next day they put out big traps like mouse traps and sharp spikes on there roof and put netting around there property, they suposidly wont walk on the netting because they will get trapped! idk if it worked thats just what they did.
    kyliebugs_mommy

Answer by kyliebugs_mommy at 6:43 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• You may want to call animal control about the coons and see if there is anything they can do or at least suggest. When I read the header on your question, I was thinking it was just waiting for you to leave so it could raid the garbage LOL! Is the house listed with a realtor? If it is, I would call them and complain about the shabbiness of the yard. Not a good selling point in my book...Good Luck!
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 6:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• i've called the real estate agent and complained and all she keeps saying is we are working on an offer on the house, i could care less at this point i just want the freaking yard cut. its at least 2 feet high and the city ordinance says 10 inches ( i know b/c the first time i complained about it they actually came out and looked at everyones yard, mine hadn't been cut in 2 weeks b/c it was hot one weekend and poured the next anyways it was just at the 10 inch mark and i got a warning too saying i had 7 days to cut it or get a fine) that house got a warning as well, however no one has come back out to look at it, and the warning said that if you don't cut it the city will come out and cut it and charge you for it, and they haven't you'd think they'd want to so they can charge someone the fines for not taking care of it and the added cost of them cutting it....the thing is i live in suburbia, its not like i'm out in the country
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• lmao kyliesbug!! where in iowa did you go cuz there arnt that many casinos here, but there are a lot by where im from!! so im curious, and of course you would have a story like that when you visited here!! you know the funny thing is ive never actually seen a opossum or raccoon (except for 1 i hit with my car) the whole time ive lived here, and ive lived here 14 years and lived in the country!! funny. thought snakes really are everywhere, oh joy!

as for the OP, i would say traps or maybe chicken fenceing for awhile. keep garbage locked up tight so nothing crawls in there, you might want to sprinkle moth ball crystal around your yard of your state has snakes too. dont want those things around!! and jsut keep calling the city! eventually theyll do something. say something about your daughter being aruond maybe, then that might scare them into it
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 7:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• If a coon if out in the daylight hours, it is probably sick. I would definitely contact animal control, the humane society, 911, or whomever handles situations like that in your area. Those animals have NO SENSE if they have rabies. I have had FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with one that did and it was very scary. Try to get it taken care of ASAP. The Department of Natural Resources handles it here in the State of West Virginia. I would start there.
    haroldswife

Answer by haroldswife at 9:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Contact animal control for your area and tell them that you saw a racoon out in the day and you think it might have been rabid (even if you don't think it was). Racoons do not typically approach people, so if you saw one during the day that close, it was more than likely sick anyway. But, if you tell them you think it had rabies, they will come try to trap the thing to make sure b/c they don't want rabid critters running around residential areas (or anywhere else for that matter) and getting them out there to see the "jungle" may get that yard cleaned up, too, since it would be a breeding ground for all sorts of things. Good luck!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:03 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Call the health department. We have gross renters on one side and a house that was taken by the bank 8 freaking yrs ago on the other. There have been rats, cats, bats and all kinds of trouble in that vacant house. One suggestion, I know it is not your responsibility but we cut the grass over there for the sake of our kids. This way nothing can really hide in the tall grass and it keeps the bugs down at night. Just keep calling your health department, and your nuisance abatement dept until you get results good luck.  Oh and keep tight lids on your garbage...racoons will get into in and make a huge mess.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:59 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• *snickers*
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 11:41 PM on Jun. 12, 2009