If abortion is indeed murder, then should the woman who recieves an abortion be tried and convicted of first degree murder and sentenced to life in prison or death?

This question is focused towards those with the belief that abortion should be criminalized and I'm not talking about disgusting late term abortions.

suchbigwords

Asked by suchbigwords at 6:47 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If women could be sentenced for murder from an abortion does that mean that women could be sentenced for involuntary manslaughter if they have a miscarriage? Loss is loss no matter some people see it. Intentional or not. So if women are going to be condemned for their right to choose that only opens the door to condemn them for things that are out of their control.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I believe yes, abortion IS murder. Since abortion is legal though, women who get abortions cannot be convicted of any crime...because they are not breaking any laws. However I do think abortion should be illegal and those who continue to find a way to abort their children should be convicted of murder. That will never happen though.
    Anonymous

• Murder is an illegal act. Abortion is NOT illegal so logically speaking Abortion is NOT murder therefore no one can be blamed for murder in an abortion. You are speaking MORALLY which is YOUR opinion and judgmental. Doesn't God tell you NOT to do that? So is your SIN of judgment any worse than what you think of what a mother who aborts does? Nope. SIN IS SIN so that means YOU are as bad as you think she is. Mind your own business and leave God to deal with others.
    Anonymous

• No lilbit022009 that makes no sense. Abortion is the actual action of killing your child. Miscarriages are a natural occurance that the mother has no control over. And loss is not the same for those who chose to end their child's life and those who did not want to lose their child.
    Anonymous

• It DEFINITLY is murder. I told one women, who told me an abortion whould be the best thing for me..since I just turned 18 and will be a young mom.. I asked her if she had any kids. she told me yes, I asked her if I could slit their throat?? As sick and demented as that may sound, it is the EXACT same thing as "aborting" or murdering a fetus inside the womb. I find it very disturbing and I had to get that across to that women, as cruel as it sounded. It was cruel for her to even suggest that to me. I am all for making abortions illegal, there is NO acceptions to it. Give these women the death penalty.. please!!!!! ughh ..
    Anonymous

• Annon 7:14 miscarriag is not always natural. What about those women who are forced to have a d&c to fight infection or finish the miscarriage? That is the same exact procedure they use to perform an abortion. I agree with lilbit, and think that women should not be charged. Its open to too much interpetation.
    Anonymous

• Oh, so if u was very young and got RAPED and u still needed to finish high school and had no one to help u with a newborn, you wouldn't consider abortion?? God would never expect someone who got raped and then got pregnant from it to keep the baby if they couldn't afford to keep it and didn't think staying pregnant and then having someone adopt their baby was right for them either. I like the thought of being married and having kids by MY husband not some rapist.
    Anonymous

• I do think abortion is murder, but it is legal and I don't think women or doctors should be punished for doing something that is legal. I think is should be against the law. Some things that are legal are still morally reprehensible. The post just before mine is about one of the least common reasons for abortion. Most elective abortions are performed on perfectly healthy women and normal babies (look at the statistics from the abortion industry). I would never expect anyone to raise a baby they can't take care of - that is why we have adoption. Yes, there is pain for the woman who chooses this route, but do you really believe that a woman who chooses abortion does not feel pain? That decision haunts women for the rest of their lives. I know many who have made this choice.
    Anonymous

• When we say abortion is murder and, therefore, sin, we are not making this judgment on our own. We are agreeing with what God has said in His Word. If Onan sinned by spilling his seed so no pregnancy would occur, how much more guilt is incurred by taking the life of one that God has sent? When we are told not to judge, that means we should not condemn another person and be out for blood. We can disagree with an action (agreeing with God's judgment) but still love the person and wish the best for him or her.
    Anonymous

• Okay first of all abortion is WRONG. My grandmother (don't get me wrong I love her) had 7 abortions when she was younger, only because she didn't want anymore. But listen she was raped by her first cousin 3 times and had three kids by him (my mom, uncle, and another uncle). God lets eveything happen for a reason. My mother was also raped by a friend and she became pregnant with my middle brother, she didn't abort him!! You have to understand that it is murder. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's not wrong. Yes there are bad men out there who hurt woman, but a child cannot help the circumstances under which it was concieved. God works in strange ways, but I am pretty sure he doesn't enjoy seeing babies being aborted. The women who get abortions shouldn't be convicted, the people who make abortion legal and abortion clinics should be charged.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:44 AM on Jun. 12, 2009