For all the homeschoolers

Do you take the summer off or do you continue through on the next years curriculum? I just started homeschooling this year (i use the term loosely for the fact that it was just a little pre-k worksheets and reading, no actual curriculum) but this fall my son will be starting a kindergarten homeschool program and I just received his curriculum for the year in the mail, my question is should i start it now or should i wait until fall to start working on it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We school all year around as we take off all of December and September. :) We have switched to a three day week though. We school Tues thru Thursday.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• We homeschool year-round. We take off most of December, take a week off in the spring and another week off in the summer. I like to leave it open, though, in case an emergency comes up I can take off when I need.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• We're starting this year too. I plan to start mid July, take off a day here and there up until Thanksgiving, and then take off the day before Thanksgiving up until after New Year's. I have a week break planned in early spring and then plan to teach up until the end of May. ...This is with a 5 day work week.
    Anonymous

• We do school through the summer. I live in SE Texas where the summers are stifling & mosquitoes are the size of VWs LOL I have 2 little ones allergic to mosquitoes. So, with that & the heat/humidity both sitting at 98, it just makes sense to school through summer ---- the kids can't get out & play or anything.

This way, we get a lot done when they'd otherwise be vegitating in front of Cartoon Network for 3 mos straight. Then, in the fall & spring when the weather's nice, we can take off for weeks at a time if we want & be able to get out & enjoy it --- go fun places in the middle of the week when it's 70 degrees and not have to fight the crowds.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 15, 2009