Stupid Neighbors.

Half the reason I liked this house was because of how nice and secluded the back yard is. Now we have new neighbors and they cut down all of the trees so we can see into their yard and they can see into ours. I know that it was their property, but seriously, didn't they even think about that? Am I wrong to be as irritated as I am?

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 7:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Our neighbors cut down a bunch of trees that separated our property a few years ago. We planted a row of about 8 Leland Cypresses there and it's worked out perfectly. They grow relatively quickly, and fill in nice and thick so they offer almost total privacy.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• you aren't wrong to be irritated but maybe they just didn't care. put up a privacy fence, you'll still be able to see into each other yards from any upper stories but while in the lower part of the house and in the yard itself you won't and they won't see yours. i'd probably be upset too if that was part of the appeal in buying the house in the first place
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:11 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• privacy fence is a good idea but pricey. another thought is you can put up trees, ino it wont fix the problem now but it will in the future! Good Luck! I understand where u are coming from, I like my privacy too!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 7:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I would definitely put up some trees. I can understand why you are irritated.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Bamboo grows fast and is a great way to have some privacy. Maybe they don't want to have to deal with all the raking. Seriously I think I rake 9 months out of the year. Ugh, I hate it!
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I guess that would be irritating, but there's no point in getting all worked up about it, instead do something about it. If a high privacy fence would be too expensive, there are evergreens that grow really fast that you could plant as a living fence insead (far enough back from the property line so that they don't encroach on the neighbor's property).

But, what's the big deal about being able to see into each other's yards anyway? I mean, are you having sex on the lawn or something?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• That would piss me off too. This happened to my MIL, the property was devided by a small woods. People came in, built a house and proceeded to chop down their half of the woods. It was horrible! It just kills me that people will just start killing trees without ever thinking about it.
    You could have my neighbors, it is a rental house and she is a foul mouthed troll who thinks the entire neighborhood wants to hear her personal business. She should be living under a bridge somewhere. Nice thing about that rental property, they never last long, I can't wait until she is evicted!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:55 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• No, anon, I'm not having sex on my lawn, but I also don't want to see my hairy neighbors back every time he decides to go swimming in his swim pool. As I said, half the reason I liked this house for us to buy it was the secluded back yard. It had so many trees, it was like a private oasis....which is now gone. I mean, there are still the trees on our side of the fence, but for the most part it's like my little world where I went to relax is just gone in one day.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 2:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2009