If my daughter gets a diaper rash can it be because she's allergic to something she ate?

My 5 1/2 month of just started eating some jar'd food. I've noticed that sometimes when she eats certain things she will have a rash on her bottom the next morning. Is this because of food allergies???? If it is, does it mean she'a allergic to it and cant EVER be fed that kind of food again?

brzlngoddess

Asked by brzlngoddess at 7:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what is it that she eats that she gets a rash? more acidic fruits and veggies can still be as acidic coming out so they irritate the skin. if her poop is still normal and she doesn't have any other reaction its probably the acidity of the foods she is eating, changing her pee and poop. i would suggest when you feed her those foods (when my daughter ate alot of fruits she always got a rash) putting some boudreaux's butt paste or whatever diaper rash ointment you use ( i love boudreaux's it wipes off easy and gets rid of rash in a day) on her before she goes to bed that might help to prevent them.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• It doesn't necessarily mean that she is allergic, it could just make her pee/poo more acidic. My Cousins daughter had that happen with certain juices. I would talk to your pediatrician.
    atjm0919

Answer by atjm0919 at 7:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• you should monitor what she eats and when she does have a rash you'll be able to asociate that food with the rash or it could be the type of diapers she wears. have you changed brands? my daughter was allergic to the dye that they put into them. i switched her to huggies and she was fine.
    Anonymous

• My child always got a red bum when she ate carrots. I highly doubt she was allergic to carrots, but we would stay away from them for the most part. We started putting them in with things here and there a little later and it was a lot better. Now she eats them with no problem.

It might not be an allergy, it might just be an intolerance.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• i would watch her it could also be due too heat the hot weather can cause heat rashes and babies sweat more on bottoms
    Anonymous

• Probably her system adjusting to new things. But if she has ANY other problems along with the diaper rash, then get her checked by her doc. Better safe than sorry.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 9:11 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My oldest always got a rash when he was teething. It never failed, every tooth he ever cut, you could count on a fever, diarrhea and diaper rash!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:14 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• If she has a reaction to a food, stop giving it to her. I would stay away from jarred food, it is expensive and tastes nasty. Give your daughter some avocado mashed with breastmilk or formula, then try baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumkin, pureed peas, etc.
    Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 7:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2009