What do real contractions feel like?

I was on petocin to make me contract last time. And honestly I don't really remember much except that I was very annoyed and in a lot of pain even with the epidural (wich they gave me too soon by the way). So what do they feel like?

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 7:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The cramps you get when you are having your period....well times that by 1,000,000!!!

EXACTLY.

nobakecheezcake

Answer by nobakecheezcake at 8:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

Goingthruitall

Answer by Goingthruitall at 7:27 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• alot of women say that they dont really remember the pain after its over....
    Anonymous

• It's been almost three years and I was honestly trying to zone out through most of it. I have not had one natural contraction in my life, they were all induced. So I don't know what to expect.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 7:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I was induced too, but I did go through about an hour of contractions before they gave me my epidural. It's kind of hard to describe them, really. They took my breath away, it was like a horrible muscle cramp in my abdomen. Kinda like a rubber band stretched to the limit, yanno? All I could do was hold my breath and wait for it to go away. I was so glad when they gave me the epidural, holy hell. I don't know how anyone does the entire labor process without meds, they're my heroes!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:34 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I'm trying to figure out a good way to simulate it, LOL. If you contract your ab muscles really really hard, that's sort of what the tightening feels like. Then add a level of crampy pain on top of it. The tightness and pain doesn't go away for about a minute, then after that it's okay. *shudder* Ack, flashbacks.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

i was going to say that exact same thing but she beat me to it. there is really no better way to describe it.

mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 9:35 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• well for me there real deal felt like pressure. an intensity. my induced contractions were much much worse. It was strong...intense...but only painful if I tensed up. I suggest reading the book hypnobirthing books. It teaches you how to relax. Also please be aware that what position you are in effects how you feel and how much it hurts. With my last baby I laid down once. And once was enough! It was painful when I laid down. So I didn't do it again. Listen to your body and everything will be awesome!
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 1:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2009