How can I get my toddler to stop "holding" her pee?

I have a 27 mos dd who has shown plenty of readiness for potty training. Today is day three, and we are running into a problem....she is telling me she has to go potty...she does not want to have an accident, which is great! We go and sit on the potty, and she WILL NOT let her pee go. She held it today for almost 4 hrs!!! Its only once she CANNOT hold it anymore that she will let some go....not all, just some. She has no problem with sitting there....just with going! I do not want to stop, we have come this far. Do I just continue with how we are doing things, and hope that in time, she will start to go on her own? There is nothing wrong with her...she is not in pain or anything....I'm just looking for some advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try going to the bathroom with her. I mean go pee before her and then tell her that you went pee and its her turn. And reward her after. Do like a sticker chart and every time she goes let her pick a sticker to put on the chart. Little kids love stickers!!
    Goingthruitall

Answer by Goingthruitall at 7:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I don't think you need to stop, no way. I've heard of this plenty of time... here are some things to try (different things work with different kids; I'm sure you've tried at least some of these already):
    -sit her on the potty and leave the room (close the door part way even) if you usually stand there with her, or stand there with her if you usually leave the room. Some kids do better with privacy. This helped my daughter poop on the potty at first.
    -Get silly: have her come in when you potty, and as you tinkle, do really silly stuff to make her laugh (cheer for yourself, sing a song, etc). Get her to relax about the whole thing. If you want, you can even bring your SO in on it to cheer for you, if it doesn't make you uncomfortable.
    -If she's holding it and has been for some time, offer her something but make her pee first. You can do slightly bigger rewards at first, then taper once she's over this mental hang-up.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:29 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Sorry for the typos... I guess I'm tired! (No excuse, right, we all are!)

EmilySusan

• The funny part is....I didnt even notice the typos as I read thru your reply!!!!
    Thank you for your answers....I left the room this morning, and voila!!! PeePee!!! YAY!!!
    I think it was the only thing I hadnt tried!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Jun. 12, 2009