How old will your children be before you let them go to the park by themsleves?

I took my son to the park today and there were 3 kids there im guessing about 9, 7, and 4 without a parent around.. i saw them walking when we were and know they liuved at least 4 - 5 blocks away.. and we live ina big city (St Paul MN) i personally wouldnt let my son go to the park by himself at that age not bashing the mom at all.. just wondering how otehrs felt and at what age most moms would allow their child to do this

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 7:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• for me, i know all my neighbors and the park is behind my neighbors house so probably around the age of 9 or 10, but i know i can let the neighbor know shes going and ask them to keep an eye out their windows for me. if it was a few blocks away maybe around the age of 11, but then again at that point do they even want to go to a park anymore?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:40 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I don't think kids should ever go to the park alone but that's just me! Since they were together that might not have been so bad but then again bad things have happened to kids in small groups.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:43 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Never, where I live there isn't one close.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• 7 and 9 is probably fine, but I would not want my 9 year old in charge of a 4 year old. They are so unpredictable! Our park is close and safe, but little ones (under say 5) need an adult.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• my dd is 12 and my sd's are about to turn 11 and the othe 10 in oct. and the school palyground is a 10 min walk and i let them go but there are rules they have to follow and a check in time, i also made sure to plant the what do u do in this situation? and that one what if.. i even quiz them to make there they know about things and to stay together. and i do check in on them now and then so they know i will show up at any given time, they know #'s and addresses. and im not in a city, but i would not let a 4 year old go to me thats to young to be w/o a parent. theres also a firestation VERY close by there.
    Anonymous

• at the age of 8 or 9 I was riding my bike to school alone, but with other friends that were my age. We would go to the neighborhood park after school too. During the summer we would ride our bikes to our neighborhood pool. I know most of the people in my neighborhood and if my DD went with friends I would let her go to the park that is down the road but she would have to be in at a certain time.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My kids are 8, 7 and 6 and I'm considering it. They have asked to go alone. It is just around the corner across one street. My issue is I don't believe the park itself is safe and there are usually a bunch of other older kids there and they get a little rough and don't watch for the little kids.
    Actually my biggest concern is nosy neighbors calling the cops because my 3 kids are there without an adult. I've lived here 20 years and when I was a kid the park was always packed with kids and there were rarely adults around.
    Right now I'm thinking maybe next summer when the youngest of them is 7 1/2 and the oldest is turning 10 then they can go. I'd prefer if they were going with their friends in a big group, though.
    I actually might consider it this year except they have a problem with sticking to the rules (we're working on it) but until I can trust them to follow the rules they have to stay on our block.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My oldest is 8 and I am nowhere near ready to let him go to the park by himself, and I live in a much smaller city.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2009