At what age could your child count to 10, 15, 20 or say abc's, etc?

My son was 2.5 I think when he started counting to 10 and 15, he's just learning 20 (at 3.5) he has no preschool and I don't do workbooks or anything with him. He can identify every letter of the alphabet (since a year or year and half ago). He knows all his shapes since age 2.5, colors, and I guess math would be next if he showed any interest! He can also sing the alphabet, but it's better that he can identify letters individually.

He can download programs and games on the internet and go to the websites without help! omg...

I know he's not genius, but is that where kids are these days...so smart b/c of technology and stuff? I remember I was like 6 before I knew how to write my name and nowdays most kids are writing theirs are 4!

So do kids learn to count to 100 at like Kindergarten?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes, you would be surprised about what is considered Kindergarten ready. Be happy he is catching on early and is on his way! They tend to grow fast, then level off and then hit another spurt of learning. The one thing that is missing with kids these days is critical/independent thinking. Now that he has the basics make sure he works puzzles, does open ended things like legos and building blocks as well as some science stuff with cause and effect-like tadpoles to frogs-etc... you will be glad you taught him to think rather than just memorize and repeat.... keep up the fun-he sounds awesome!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• my daughter is 3 1/2 she could identify all the letters by age 2. she didn't start to count to 5 til she was about 2 1/2 but she had a speech delay so she could have done it earlier and i didn't realize that was what she was doing. now she can sing her abcs, type out letters on the keyboard, play games alone on the computer (she can put in a disk and play a game, i only know b/c she didn't want to wait for me one day and decided to do it herself!), count to 18, knows all her basic colors and shapes, we are now working on more advanced shapes (past circle, square triangle, rectangle), and math. just basic math mainly addition she likes that and will ask me in the car what 2 plus 2 is and then we figure it out together, she does it by counting on her hands but thats how i learned (if we are home than she counts objects to figure it out)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Well, I know at this point my son just turned 2 in April and he has been able to count to 10 for awhile...He can sing the alphabet with only a couple of stumbles along the way (you know the classic L, M, N, O, P thing :) ) He knows basic shapes and basically every color, so I am pretty impressed. I do however work with him in fun ways each day!!
    SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 7:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My son was counting to 10 by age one, and to 20 by age 2. He knew the alphabet by two also and basic shapes. My younger son was a bit later than that, but by age three knew his letters, counting, shapes.

Answer by Bmat at 8:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Mine is not quite 3. She can count to 15 - both just repeating the sequence and actually counting things, say her ABC's, can recognize all the letters, knows her letter sounds, and is learning to sound out simple words.

It's so hard to tell if a child is "advanced" at this age. Kids learn these things at vastly different rates. But they all end up at similar places by the end of Kindergarten. By the end of 1st grade, you can easily tell if your child is advanced or behind.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:14 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Wow after reading this i feel like a shitty mom..lol My daughter turned 3 in march and can count to 5 but when we try to get her to count pennies she won't do it. She was doin good on her abc's and then something happened and now we are starting over again. Shapes she is doin good on and colors she gets most of the time but gets them confussed sometimes. IDK maybe i can't get her caught up this year so she is ready for preschool next year since she won't be goin do to new baby goin in Sept. and possibly moving around the same time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• My daughter can count to 40 and has been able to since 18 months old. She's know her ABCs since about the too. Colors since about two. She doesn't play on our computer or I'm sure she would know how to run that too.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:40 AM on Jun. 12, 2009