My 14 year old wants a horse??

My daughter (14) has been taking riding lessons for a year now and she has been begging me to buy her a horse. I am worried that it is just a phase she is going through, or if she really wants a horse. I would buy her a horse if I knew this. Also, if I do end up getting her a horse, and i know all of the expences, what breed, sex, and age should I get the horse. The horse would most-likely be an English Pleasure/ Dressage horse.

BellaSnow

Asked by BellaSnow at 8:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Pets

• horses are pretty damn expensive, make sure she understands the responsibility of taking care of it.. ive always wanted a horse, but i grew out of it, just be sure she REALLY desires it ..
    Anonymous

• Why don't you commit to leasing a horse. If she keeps up with it, and commits to working at the barn to help defray the cost, then that will help your decision.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• We have always had Tennessee Walking Horses. I had a Quarter horse and while I loved her to death a TN walker is like riding in a Cadillac. Their gate is so smooth. My Husband's family prefers Quarter Horses. I had a friend who had an Arabian, a little to hard headed for me.
    In all honesty I don't really know all of the expense that goes into them but I do know that my parent's pay about $300 a month to put three of their horses in pasture. There is the cost of feed, vaccinations, shoeing the horse, not to mention just the vet expenses.
    Sorry if I am not much help as far as the expenses but you should definitely let her "test drive" the horse should you decide to buy one.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• i don't blame her i love horses and for me it wasn't a phase i rode all the time. they are not too expensive to keep up. try the leasing thing suggested. the passion for horses didn't fade but when i got a boyfriend my attention did turn to him if only i had found a boyfriend just as crazy for horses as i was.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:43 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• my mom was hopeing that it was a phase i was going through tooo...but she finally broke down and bought me prince when i was 9 years old and and he was 9 months old 16 years later i still have him and he is my soul mate....hes the reason im not dead from suicide and hes the reason i never was a "normal teenager" ect parties underage drinking stuff like that...haveing a horse that young tought me resposibiliety and how to manage money...mom would giveme allowenc and i would save to buy prince stuff...now that i have my dd i hope to instil her the same lessons that my mom tought me by buying me prince
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 11:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• We have four girls. All ride and compete with our oldest being 24 and our youngest being 3. With the exception of the three year old, 2 of my girls (24 and 8) have their own horses. My 17 year old proved after her lease that horses were a phase and not a lifetime passion. I suggest leasing which is what we did with our girls as horse care can get expensive. I am fortunate enough to be my own Vet to my companions. Not everyone is afforded this luxury so to speak. If my girls are not in the house they can be found in the barn. Neither is opposed to cleaning stalls or makingsure their horses needs are met. They ride year round so their horses stay fresh, this includes the cold Winters as well. Owning a horse is not just about the pleasure of riding, it is a very big responsibility for both the safety of the horse and the person caring for him.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 8:50 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• horses are expensive...period. If your going to invest I would make it a family purchase and something you all can enjoy and not just a 14 yo that will change her mind in 2.5 seconds. Its a huge commitment.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:49 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Tell her you are using that money for her college education, not some expensive pet she wants.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I agree that you should lease a horse. Continue her riding lessons and let her work at barns. She needs the experience before she should have her own. And to be honest if you working toward her having her own horse, you need to educate yourself in everything they will require. You need to know about diseases, bloodlines, the type of horses ect...

For informational purposes, when she is ready to own her own horse, a 8+ yr gelding would be a great first horse. Look for one that is considered well trained for children.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:56 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• It's great that she is taking lessons. I would suggest doubling the lessons before leasing or buying. Has she always been interested in horses or is this something new? The cheapest part of owning a horse is the purchase price. The cost of upkeep can be quite expensive between the board, vet bills, farrier, etc. Does she belong to a pony club or 4H group?
    If you do become serious about buying, talk to her instructor and have him/her help you find a suitable horse. Finally, make sure you get a pre-puchase vet check before buying. It could save you thousands of dollars in the long run.

Please feel free to check in with the Horse Lovers group and read up on what horse ownership is really like.
    marklorna

Answer by marklorna at 11:58 AM on Aug. 27, 2009