do i have to introduce solids at 6 months?

im afraid she wont want to breast feed anymore, she's also super sensitive to foods i eat.

mymemnoch

Asked by mymemnoch at 8:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope! There's no rush whatsoever. Some moms wait until 12 months. I personally want mine to practice before 12 months, but I definitely believe in easing them into it. My girls were just too insatiable to wait... but there's no harm! And once you start it, you should always offer solids after breastmilk; that way you ensure they're getting the milk they need; solids are dessert.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:31 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• you dont have to introduce them now if you don't want to. My sons dr. told me to start him on solids when he seemed interested in what i was eating. For ex: following the spoon/fork with food from plate to your mouth or seeing it go by and opening there mouth for it. She'll still breast feed. When you do introduce solids start with one thing only one thing and give it to her for about a week to make sure she's not allergic to it. When you first start just start off with giving her solids once a day, and slowly increase it to two. Like substitute part of a lunch feeding with solids first then giver her the breast after. My son was bottle fed, only because he couldn't latch on properly. He's now 9 1/2 months and eats 3-5 small meals of solids a day and still takes 4-5 bottles.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 8:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I agree with watching until your LO seems interested. You don't have to start now, just follow your child's cues. Mine was interested at 2 months, she watched us while we ate and would smack her lips and wimper when we wouldn't give her any, so I slowly started solids at 4 months.

Don't be worried about your child not wanting the breast anymore, always offer breast first. As much as my baby LOVES food she loves nursing so much more than that, so we've never had a problem with that.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 8:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• No you dont have to start now, if you dont feel like your LO is ready there is no reason to, though be aware thats if you keep your LO on an all liquid diet for much much longer she might give you a much bigger problem with solids. I will look up where i read about it and post the web site for it
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 8:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• You don't *have* to do anything! Your kid!!
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 9:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• you can exclusively breastfeed for a year.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:12 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• For me, I knew it was time to start introducing solids when my son was nursing every 30 minutes and watching me eat like a hawk and making chewing motions while I was eating. It didn't make him any less interested in my milk!
    tangyh

Answer by tangyh at 9:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I agree with the other ladies. A breastfed child does not need solids until they are a year old. Just follow your baby's cues. Actually, I even read an article on the WHO's website that stated in cases of a family history of severe food allergies, a child can be EBF for up to two years. They still recommend trying foods between 6-12 months, but if their are too many allergies to hold off even longer. HTH!
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 9:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• NO!You dont have to!Its good to see a mom wanting to start solids later than earlier than 6 months.You can offer ceral if you wnt but if shes gaining,shes fine!Congrats on the 6 month breast feeding milestone mama!
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 10:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• In a word, NO. All 6 months means is that you CAN start offering solids, not that you have to.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:35 PM on Jun. 11, 2009